Sign in
Download Opera News App



Reasons Why 2 Out Of Every 3 Unemployed People In Ghana Are Women

The most recent findings for the third quarter of 2022 released by the Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) indicate that the number of jobless females is twice as high as that of males.

According to the BBC, the report highlights that a total of 1.76 million Ghanaians were out of work, accounting for 13.7% of the workforce in the country.

Approximately 70% of the 11 million individuals employed in Ghana enjoy secure employment, whereas the remaining 30% face precarious work or no job opportunities.

Ghana is renowned for its abundant cocoa production, yet the country is grappling with severe economic challenges, including soaring inflation, a feeble currency, and a high cost of living.

In light of this, the Ghanaian administration sought a $3 billion rescue package from the International Monetary Fund. Richmond Frimpong, a research economist, contends that the current unemployment figures could potentially delay the implementation of the IMF's bailout program.

There are a lot of factors contributing to the fact that the number of unemployed women in Ghana is twice or more than that of men. While some of these factors impact both genders, the report highlights that women are disproportionately affected.

The study reveals that the number of jobless women who didn't receive formal education is three times higher than their male counterparts. Furthermore, even among young individuals attending school, females still experience a higher unemployment rate than males.

Additionally, a lot of women in Ghana are involved in unpaid labor rather than being formally employed. The report revealed that these individuals are responsible for generating products and services for either personal use or for others, with no financial compensation or gains.

Moreover, women frequently hold long-term roles as caretakers and may not receive remuneration for their services. The report of third-quarter findings revealed that more than 120,000 women were responsible for domestic duties, whereas only approximately 15,000 men held similar responsibilities.

Additionally, the burden of pregnancy and childbirth obligations adds to the significant proportion of jobless women.

The report highlights that certain women do not possess the essential credentials or expertise required to secure employment opportunities. While the dearth of abilities and qualifications is a widespread predicament, the report specifies that women are disproportionately affected.

Content created and supplied by: Temmyabbe (via Opera News )

BBC Ghana Ghanaian Ghanaians Richmond Frimpong


Load app to read more comments