It will be recalled that the former acting EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu was arrested on July 6, 2020, by security forces to answer questions by the panel headed by a former Appeal Court judge, Ayo Salami, and had remained in detention since that period.
Even though, at a point during his detention period, Magu threatned to go on hunger strike if he's refused bail. However, according to reports, the embattled former acting EFCC Chairman, only gained his freedom on Wednesday evening, after spending 10 days in Police facility.
Moreover, while Magu might have successfully secured his bail, it is worthy of note that the temporary freedom may be short-lived, as it may be very hard for Magu to provide satisfactory answers to the allegations levelled against him as investigations continues.
These allegations ranges from insurbudination to the office of the AGF, alleged ‘relooting of recovered loots’ and Sale of seized assets to cronies, associates and friends, among others.
Consequently, the former EFCC Chairman may be charged to court anytime soon, and without an accurate answers to these weighty allegations, Magu may be found behind bars again anytime soon. This time, it may be more tougher for him to secure his freedom.
For rememberance purpose, according to Prnigeria, these are the 10 major allegations against Magu:
1. Insubordination to the Office of the AGF
2. Alleged 'relooting of recovered loots’ and Sale of seized assets to cronies, associates and friends
3. Alleged favouritism towards selected EFCC investigators called the ‘Magu Boys’ for ‘juicy’ assignments
4. Alleged leakages of investigative reports that were prejudicial to some cases to some selected media
5. Alleged discrepancies in the reconciliation records of the EFCC and the Federal Ministry of Finance on recovered funds
6. Alleged declaration of N539b as recovered funds instead of N504b earlier claimed
7. Not providing enough concrete evidences against some suspects including on Diezani Alison-Madueke for her extradition
8. Reporting some judges to their presiding officers without deferring to the AGF
9. Late action on the investigation of P&ID leading to legal disputes
10. Not respecting court order to unfreeze a N7b judgment in favour of a former executive director of a bank
Although, some Nigerians who claimed Magu is a man of integrity, have insisted he will overcome his predicament, however going through these series of weighty allegations, do you think Magu may escape being found guilty after all ?
Kindly share your thoughts on this.
Content created and supplied by: Peplumnews (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More