FG gives operators 12 days to meet COVID-19 guidelines.
The Federal Government has given school owners till July, 29 to meet specific guidelines for safe reopening of schools.
It said schools are expected to undertake self-assessment and send feedback to State Ministries of Education, not later than 29th July, 2020.
The government said an official date for safe reopening of schools will be announced once these guidelines are in place.
Nwajiuba said the the Federal Ministry of Education (FMoE), having consulted widely, has in collaboration with Federal Ministry of Health, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), the Education in Emergencies Working Group, developed and circulated guidelines for the reopening of schools.
In a statement on Friday by the Director of Information, FMoE, Ben Goong, the minister said school owners are expected to prepare and comply with the guidelines.
“Thereafter, consultations with relevant stakeholders will be held to review the situation and decide on a specific date for reopening or otherwise.
“Furthermore, the Minister said, having taken the painful but necessary decision not to reopen schools without necessary preparations to ensure the safety of students and teachers, the Federal Ministry of Education has continued consultations with stakeholders, and a mechanism to assess and monitor compliance shall be put in place,” the statement said.
The minister said the ministry has consulted with Commissioners of Education in the 36 states, the Association of Private School Owners of Nigeria,(APSON), National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools,(NAPPS), Provosts of Colleges of Education, Rectors of Polytechnics, Vice Chancellors of Universities, some State Governors and development partners since Tuesday last week.
On WAEC, Nwajuiba said: “we met with WAEC on Monday and have agreed to further consult with four other countries on a new examination date.
“We appreciate the concern shown by all stakeholders and note the divergent views expressed on the matter.
“Parents should be rest assured that the safety of our students and teachers is paramount as we work assiduously towards speedy reopening of our schools for the exit classes to take external examinations.”
Oyo police parades 3 suspects in connection with Akinyele killings, other criminals.
Oyo State Police Command on Friday arrested no fewer than three (3) persons in connection with the killing of five residents of Akinyele Local Government Area of Oyo State.
Newspot gathered that no fewer than five persons where killed in six attacks on residents of Akinyele in June this year.
Among those who were killed were an 18-year old teenager, Barakat Bello, a pregnant woman, Azeezat Shomuyiwa, 21-year-old student, Grace Oshiagwu, Olusayo Fagbemi and a five-year-old boy, identified as Mujeeb. Another 45-year-old woman, Adeola Bamidele and her daughter, Dolapo Bamidele, were also attacked in a failed attempted murder in June.
But, the Police has arrested three persons in connection with the killings and the attacks.
Commissioner of Police, Mr. Joe Nwachukwu Enwonwu, while parading the suspects at a press briefing in Ibadan on Friday, gave the names of the suspects as Sunday Sodipe, Adedokun Yinusa and Shehu Usman.
Exhibits recovered from the suspects included one hand shovel, one techno mobile phone, one I phone Xmax and one Itel Phone.
“The assailants troubling the settled water at Akinyele local government area and some suspected criminal elements carrying out defilement of minors and teenagers in the state have been arrested and will be showcased here today.
“On 4th June 2020 at about 2230hrs, unknown hoodlums who have been terrorizing members of the public in Akinyele, Ojoo and Moniya areas of Ibadan invaded the residence of one Azisat Shomuyiwa F, a 29-year-old pregnant woman at Ijefun, Adisa community, Ojoo Area Ibadan.
“Meanwhile after a discreet investigation by a team of SARS operatives, one Shehu Usman was arrested in connection with the crime and one Techno mobile phone belonging to the slain woman was recovered from him. Upon interrogation, the suspect denied his involvement in the crime but gave useful information which subsequently led to the arrest of one notorious hoodlum who identified himself as Sunday Shodipe.
“The suspect confessed to have single handedly masterminded the crime and explained in detail how he invaded the victim’s residence where she brutally attacked, robbed her before she was later murdered in cold blood”.
Enwonwu also disclosed that the police has arrested five persons in connection with armed robbery and one Indian hemp dealer.
The Police Commissioner while speaking further added that six suspects were arrested in connection with defilements of some residents of the state.
He added that four (4) people were arrested in connection with attempted murder of Oluwasayo Fagbemi and her daughter.
Police arrests Personal Assistant to Gokada CEO, Fahim Saleh.
Tyrese Devon Haspil, 21, the former personal assistant to the CEO of Gokada Fahim Saleh, who was found dismembered in his Manhattan apartment on Tuesday has been arrested.
Newspot had reported that the 33-year-old who was also a co-founder of ride-sharing venture ‘Pathao’, was found dead in his Manhattan’s Lower East Side apartment on Tuesday.
According to NYPD officers, his body was found dismembered with his limbless, headless body lying close to an electric saw.
The killer was said to have abandoned the scene and escaped midway into the operation when Saleh’s sister showed up unexpectedly.
New York Times reports that Haspil who was arrested by the police on Friday is believed to have intentions of killing his former boss after he found that he embezzled tens of thousands of dollars from him.
It was also reported that Saleh did not report the alleged theft to authorities, but brokered a repayment plan with him.
Haspil is expected to be charged in a criminal complaint with second degree murder and other crimes.
Also, the New York City’s medical examiner on Thursday revealed that Saleh died of multiple stab wounds.
NSCDC arrests 7 suspected vandals, illegal oil dealers in FCT.
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Command, has arrested seven suspected vandals and illegal oil dealers.
While parading the suspect at the corps’ headquarters in Abuja on Friday, the FCT Commandant of the corps, Mr Patrick Ukpan, said three were caught removing kerb stones from the expressway while four others were arrested for illegal dealing in petroleum products.
“Three of them were caught vandalising kerb stones used to demarcate the walkway on the expressway within the city.
“The other set are illegal dealers in petroleum products.
“They were arrested around Jahi area of Abuja by our anti-vandal department after being caught in the act.
“They were operating in residential areas,” Mr Ukpan alleged.
He said they were arrested after gathering intelligence about their activities for a while.
According to him, investigation was still ongoing to know their collaborators and bring them to book.
“We will charge them to court afterwards,” he said.
He called on residents to always report illegal activities around them to authorities.
One of the suspects, Chuckwu Okwonkwo, who spoke to journalists, said he buys his petroleum products from the deport, adding that: “I don’t know what makes this an illegal activity.”
He said he had been in the business for almost 20 years and had never been arrested before now.
Solomon Chang, arrested for removing kerb stones on the expressway at the Games Village area of Abuja, blamed the devil for his action.
Wike prevented policemen on legal duty from arresting Joi Nunieh.
The Police Command in Rivers says policemen who went to arrest Dr Joi Nunieh, the former Acting Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), were on legitimate duty.
The command’s spokesman, DSP Nnamdi Omoni made the clarification in a statement on Friday in Port Harcourt.
A media report had suggested that the presence of the policemen at the residence of Nunieh was not on the directive of the command.
Omoni said the police operatives were from the Inspector General of Police (I-G) Monitoring Team, with support of the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Joseph Mukan.
“The Rivers police command wish to clarify that officers who went to the residence of Nunieh were from the I-G Monitoring Team in Abuja on official assignment to the state.
“The officers, before proceeding to Nunieh’s residence, observed due protocols and requisite standard operating procedures.
“On arrival, the officers reported to the police command headquarters with their investigation activities duly signed and approved by the commissioner.”
Omoni said that mobile policemen that accompanied the team to effect the arrest of Nunieh, went there on official duty, contrary to some media reports.
“The reference that police officers went to arrest Nunieh without the directive of the CP and I-G is ridiculous and most unfortunate, hence should be disregarded.
“Mukan is poised to deliver quality policing services and the command will continue to remain firm, focused and will not be distracted by any consideration,” he said.
Content created and supplied by: Synced (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More