Some Nigerian celebrities were once accused of murder. While some were tried and found guilty, some were innocently accused and discharged.
1. Ibinabo Fiberesima. Ibinabo Fiberesima is a film actress, ex-beauty Pegeant and event planner. She is the former president of Actors Guide Association. She made her debut as a film actress in the movie titled 'most wanted' and has since went on to stare in several Nigerian movies. In 2009, Ibinabo Fiberesima was charged with man slaughter and reckless driving after she accidentally killed one Medical doctor. She was sentenced to five years in prison by high court sitting in Lagos. She was however, granted bail in the sum of 2million Naira and two sureties in like sum on April 6th 2016 by the court of Appeal in Lagos pending the determination of her Appeal by the supreme Court.
2. Rabi Ismail. Rabi Ismail is a Nigerian actress. She is popularly known for acting in Hausa movies. In 2005, Rabi Ismail was convicted for murder and sentenced to death by hanging by high court in Kano for murdering her boyfriend to acquire his wealth. She was said to have lured him to Tiga Dam where she poisoned him with chocolate and pushed him into the Dam to make it look as if he drowned. Rabi was sentenced and convicted but she escaped from the prison in 2011. Rabi Ismail also known as Rabi Cecelia was rearrested in 2017. That is 6 years after her escape. According to the spokesman for the prisons Authority, Known as Francis Enobore, Rabi was recaptured by the intelligent unit of the Nigerian prison services.
3. Tayo Odueke. Tayo Odueke is a Nigerian actress and movie producer. She rose to fame with her self produced movie. Born on February 21, 1976, in Ijebu Ode, Ogun State, the actress is popularly known as Sikiratu Sindodo. The actress came into limelight following her role in the movie 'Sikiratu Sindodo,' that was where she got her nickname. She was accused of manslaughter for crushing a sixteen months old baby with her car. The incident happened at Lagos State.
Tayo according to the news went to see her friend Tope who just returned from the UK. The two friends entered Tayo's red Honda to cruise out only for some passerby to call the attention of Tayo to the lifeless body of a sixteen months old baby allegedly said to have been crushed by her while trying to reverse her car. She was arrested by the police immediately. Tayo was not herself because she cried herself to the state of unconsciousness.
However, the parents of the deceased, wrote to police and sworn that they will not further press charges on the actress because she didn't commit the crime intentionally.
4. Burna Boy. Burna Boy is a Nigerian Singer and song writer. In 2010, a young Burna was reportedly involved in a gang-related stabbing in London that left one person dead. He was tried as a minor, found guilty and sent to jail. Eleven (11) months into his sentence, the singer was released on parole on the grounds of good behaviour. But he reportedly flouted the terms of his parole and travelled back to Nigeria to pursue his singing career. As a result, Burna Boy wasn’t welcome in the UK for several years. And even though he went on to become a reputable artist in his home country, the travel restriction contributed to his inability to become even bigger.
It was until 2016 when Burna made a triumphant return to the UK with a couple of shows that were christened his “homecoming”. At the London event, a police van with Burna’s name on the license plate served as one of the stage props. It was a self-deprecating reminder of his criminal past but that’s about as much as the singer lets on.
While he admits to being a problem child, Burna Boy has repeatedly denied those press reports. He claims all report of his crime and incarceration were false. A couple of years after, he tweeted:
5. Bimbo Akinsanya.This popular Yoruba actress, was once accused of attempted murder. The actress was said to have sent a hired assassin to kill one Reverend Pat Ogechi back in 2011, who claimed she was shot and wounded on the left shoulder by an assassin. She pointed an accusing finger on Bimbo. Bimbo was tried and found to be innocent of the accusation.
6. Rich Oganiru.
Rich Oganiru, who is one of the pioneering members of the Actor's Guild of Nigeria, was married to a rich Abuja- Based Business woman who fell I'll and was hospitalized for over three months in Abuja. She had a fibroid operation few weeks before her death. The fibroid operation was supposedly successful and she was discharged. The Woman was said to have died at home the same day she was discharged. It was Rich Oganiru who picked her up from the hospital.
Immediately after her death, the woman's family petitioned the police saying that they believed Rich Oganiru killed his wife because of the things Rich's late wife revealed to some members of her family before her death. They also claimed that Rich Oganiru has been trying to get rid of the woman to take over all her properties. They also reported that Rich Oganiru has sold some of the late wife's properties before her death. They told the police that he gave her poisonous substance to end her life.
Police then arrested Rich Oganiru later when nothing was found on him, he was set free.
Rich Oganiru later told his own side of the story in a telephone conversation with Charles Nwagbara. The actor who was accused of poisoning his wife and selling off her property said he’s 100% innocent and that the false stories were planted to defame his character. He told the magazine his own side of the story.
According to him, his late wife took ill and was battling fibroid. He explained that they opted for some kind of treatment supervised by German doctors which will prevent normal surgery.
But to his dismay, the fibroid kept growing back and causing his wife more pain. Later, they decided to seek spiritual help. They traveled from Abuja to Lagos to meet Prophet TB Joshua of Synagogue Church of All Nations in Ikotun. The prophet gave them emergency appointment based on his personal recognition.
His wife then suggested they move to her brother’s apartment at the Airforce Barracks in shasha. While there, she rejected all the provisions that the actor bought and insisted on having pap prepared by her sister at her brother, Group captain David Aluko’s home.
After the meal, he said her condition became worse and they decide to move her to Synagogue since the appointment was a few hours from then. Oganiru said his wife refused and told him to take her to the hospital, this he did with the aid of her brother Group captain David.
But at the military hospital gate, the woman died. That, according to him was when the problem started as the brother became hostile despite his condition which resulted in his being medicated as the shock of the death of his beloved wife raised his blood pressure.
Later when he came back, he discovered that his Air-force brother inlaw had deposited his wife’s body at the morgue and ordered him, Oganiru to go tell their parents that his sister was dead. This the actor said he will do, but demanded the death certificate so as to present to his in-laws to clear himself since the Air-force officer had started insinuating all sorts.
Group Captain David he said ordered him out of the barracks and he left to his hotel room where he discovered his wife’s stuff had been removed and his belongings searched and scattered.
According to Oganiru:
“They even seized the keys to my jeep and my international passport. I had to beg for my things to be returned. When I got the keys and my passport back and David insisted that I cannot have the morgue tag for my wife, I left for our home in Abuja. On arriving there, they had locked me out and carted away eveything that belonged to my wife and even our wedding pictures. Eventually I was allowed inside.
Three days later some policemen from force headquarters came to arrest me based on a petition written about me that I killed my wife. I was kept in cell with Boko Haram members and I was the one washing for them. The police didn’t care about my medication. When they saw my health was getting bad, they released me.
I was asked to report two days later to face my accusers. I took some journalist to the house to see how they vandalized my things. That same evening, a group of policemen came in commando style, broke down my window and said I was under arrest.
That was how they took me to Asokoro police station after beating me mercilessly and I was bleeding from ear and nose, A few day later, a professor friend came and told them that they should release me or charge me. He insisted that they should do the autopsy and charge me based on that, When nothing was found after the autopsy was conducted, they let me go.
Meanwhile these heartless people have gone ahead to bury my wife without my consent. Now the next thing is that they are on the internet alleging that I poisoned my rich wife for her property. Let me tell you, my wife was a hardworking woman but about being rich, I don’t know, otherwise why did we scrape to the bone to find money for her treatment?
We live in a rented apartment, so I don’t know the property I killed her for that I wanted to inherit. See, the callous people said I also killed my two former wives. My ex wife is alive, healthy and bubbling with my two children. But I know there is God and I must fight this to a logical conclusion. God is with me and my accusers will soon be put to shame. Thank you for calling me to find out the truth".
Thanks you very much for reading. Don't forget to like, follow, share and drop your opinions in the comment section.
Content created and supplied by: Victory-Morah (via Opera News )