Yuriy Makarov, chairman of the committee for Ukraine's National Taras Shevchenko Award, has resigned.
Makarov wrote on Facebook, "I am leaving this honorary position with the feeling that our prior collaborative work in some little way contributed to the strengthening and rejuvenation of our national culture.
He added that he had taken the initiative to add extra awards "For Contribution to Victory" to the list of nominations a few days prior in his capacity as chairman of the Committee.
Since the start of a full-scale war, an incredible, unimaginable number of works of art, projects, and phenomena have emerged that are made on enthusiasm and literally bring our victory closer, he said. "I proceeded from the fact that this year the committee did not consider it possible to award an award in two categories," he said.
The President's Office agreed with this suggestion, hence the results of the 2023 competition were withheld in order to make the winners public on May 22.
"Unfortunately, the intention to honor the artists who give Ukrainian culture a fundamentally new dimension, involve our valiant soldiers and people living in the freed lands in it, and represent the nation abroad was met with angry misunderstanding. Many reputable members of the artistic community and concerned citizens interpreted this action as a political gambit, an effort by the government to select "their" nominees or to downplay the significance of already chosen laureates "said he.
Makarov further claimed that his plan did not receive support from peers who were on the Prize Committee.
As was previously mentioned, Oleksandr Tkachenko, Minister of Culture and Information Policy, and Yuriy Makarov announced on March 10 that the Shevchenko Prize winners and the recipients of the new "For Contribution to Victory" nomination would be revealed on May 22, the day of Taras Shevchenko's reburial.
The Prize Committee also revealed the winners of some of the nominations on March 11 at the same time.
Source: INTERFAX UKRAINE
FOR MORE UPDATES PLEASE FOLLOW
Content created and supplied by: AsWeHearAm (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More