Writing is an art and not just interwoven sentences. Find out 10 ways to improve your writing skill.
1. Create original content :Every writer puts out content but how authentic is your work? How legit and credible is it? Can emphasis be made on your work so you can also be given credit? It takes a whole lot to come up with original content. As a writer authenticity is key.
2. Step out of your shadow:If you want to gain a name for writing, I will advice you step out. Stop writing only in your diary or journals. Lend your voice out, put it out on blogs, social media and other platforms. That way you will slowly get recognised even if the pay doesn't or would not rather come immediately.
3. Stay in your lane or niche:If you want to be a successful writer, don't write about everything. Pick a struggle and deal with it. You can't be a jack of all trades. Find out what interests you and write consistently on it.
4. Read more:You can't be a good writer, if you don't read. In reading, read everything. Read, read, read. Read everything -- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window.But most importantly, reading helps you to find new words and broaden your horizon. I also think readers are learners and great speakers.
5. Keep writing:Writing requires hard work and a lot of critical thinking and the tediousness of writing reduces when you write consistently. You learn more. You unlearn more as well. You are able to find out writing techniques that work well and those that should be discarded. It is said that practice makes perfect. Practice writing everyday and tie this alongside reading and watch the result.
6. Write for yourself or your friend.This is a really practically step in writing. If you want to get better in writing, personalise your articles and judge if it's worth being read to someone. Better still write to an imaginary friend and judge how the friend will deal with it. This is because every writer must have the ability to capture minds. If your work can not do this, then you have a whole lot of work to do. Asides writing to free your mind, you write to inspire.Picture your audience and assess how the entanglement of words approach them. As a writer you deal with the psychology of your audience.
7. Get ideas from different sources :All creative work is built on what already existed. As a writer, it's not wrong to garner your idea or facts from somewhere else. Feel free to explore existing grounds to build your writing career. But it is also necessary for you to give credit.
8. Be flexible: As a writer, train your mind to flush out cache from it's memory. You are striving to be better and you need to let your mind be free. Do away with writing techniques that don't work for you. Do not linger, keep exploring and tasking yourself to write more articles or stories. Even if your work gets rejected, find out why, dot your I's and cross your T's so you can level up to the standard.
9. Get a dictionary:This point is not to bolden emphasis on writing with big words in English language. As I said earlier, everyone is a writer, so far as you put down thoughts in words. People who write with big words have their market they could be hired for research and other technical articles.Nevertheless, if you want to tweak your writing skills to garner influence you must have good command of English. Your work should be grammatically and vocabulary wise correct. People will loose trust in a piece that lacks these. So you will need a dictionary to find out synonyms and meanings of words you came across while reading.
10. Take up challenges: If you want to start getting recognized as a writer, I will advise to take up writing competitions. This doesn't only make you get noticed but brings bare to you what it takes to be an excellent writer. It is an opportunity to level up. Don't shy out of those challenges, they will only make you stronger.
Content created and supplied by: Ivysan (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More