Nigeria known officially as Federal Republic of Nigeria and nicknamed "The Giant of Africa" is a country on South East of West Africa. It is the most populated country in Africa and seventh in the world. The country is home to over 200 million inhabitants, many ethnicities and religions. Majority of her population practice either Islam or Christianity but though there are numbers of different religions in the country.
The following are six interesting facts about Nigeria:
1. Nigerian Nollywood industry is second to the largest film producing industry in the world just behind India's Bollywood. The origin of Nollywood dates back to the early 2000s.
2. It is the largest economy in Africa. Perhaps, this is due to its export market and abundance of natural resources across her territory.
3. There are over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria with Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba as their majority.
4. Despite English is the official language of Nigeria, there are over 500 different indigenous languages making seven percent of the languages spoken in the world.
5. Being the largest producer of oil and gas in Africa and 12th in the world, Nigeria export over 2.5 million barrels per day which attract 70% capital inflow of the country’s export trade.
6. The first African to win the Nobel Laureate price "Wole Soyinka" is from Nigeria. He was the first to be awarded the Nobel prize in 1986.
7. Nigeria was the first African country to win gold medal for football in the Olympics.
8. The popular Niger river which is the third largest river in the world belongs to Nigeria.
9. The African richest man Aliko Dangote is from Nigeria with over $12 billion net worth.
10. The Anambra waxbill, a small bird of many beautiful colours and the Indigobird of Jos, Plateau State are found only in Nigeria.
These are fascinating facts about Nigeria you probably didn't know. Kindly share with friends and family.
Content created and supplied by: Sir_Adams (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More