In the past there was this impatient belief that those in need of dragons are people who could not afford the basic necessities of life.
But lately many people, including the rich, are consuming the gary as "thick" or drinking it as an appetizer when they are soaked in water with milk, peanuts / coli-coli and sugar or honey. However, this is an accepted recipe among children and teenagers.
Garri is a grain-like food substance extracted from cassava tubers. It is a yellowish and smooth white granular flour, with a taste that can be sour or fermented in character.
Its high demand has made the manufacturing and sales business very profitable. Garri is one product that does not need advertising because it can be sold just about anywhere in Nigeria with a good profit achieved, it is indeed one of the best selling food products in the Nigerian market.
Most of the gari consumed in Nigeria is produced by local means, but for larger scale production modern processing technology can be encouraged, which saves time and energy.
Reasons why you should start a trailer manufacturing business;
1. You do not need a lot of work in the beginning.
2. It is dynamic in nature.
3. It grows very fast and less pressure.
4. You can buy millions of Naira as the business grows over the years.
5. You can collaborate with other people to start a business.
6. It is one business that both rich and poor can get started.
Things to set up before starting a manufacturing business:
1. Get a good location for planting a cassava farm; Agricultural outline with good titanium soil and warm climatic condition suitable for cassava orchard.
2. Improve the land for cassava agriculture; Increase soil fertility if it is not well maintained or locate areas with rich soil.
3. Choose the best cassava variety for planting.
4. Choose healthy cassava stem cuttings; Choosing the best stalks for cassava farming is very important because they will eventually grow into rich cassava plants that allow you to sell faster and recoup your investment early in the business.
5. Plant the cassava correctly; Pay attention to the type of soil, the texture, the time required for planting the cassava for optimal yield, the species to be used and the methods of use are very important in order to allow good and profitable harvesting during cultivation.
6. Determine your production cost; Having a good idea of what produces the trailer production is very important to allow you to generate a good income and avoid getting stuck along the line in the production process.
A sample of the estimated cost of production subject to change is as follows;
Land cost = 500,000 up to N2m (unless you already have land).
Land clearance = 25,000 in a variable manner.
Cassava stem cutting = 50,000
Fertilizer = 35,000
Fermentation tank cost = 320,000
Hydraulic press = 250,000
The cost of a hammer mill = 850,000
Other costs may include; Trolley bags, insecticides, labor fees, farm maintenance, etc.
7. Conduct a feasibility study; A lot of people start a business without first conducting a feasibility study and this is one of the reasons why many businesses fall along the line, which ultimately leads to a big loss.
So to be on the safe side it is very important to first ask veteran cassava business experts about the production, the advantages, the disadvantages and the set up cost etc. which will help prevent future losses in the business.
The equipment needed to make the grills is:
1. Knives; For peeling the cassava.
2. Large basins; For washing peeled cassava tubers.
3. Large pans; For grated frying,
4. Frying spoons; For the drag round.
5. Tripod and firewood; Produce fire for grinding.
However there are modern machines that can be used for more efficient and less stressful production of Gary and they include:
1. Cassava peeling machine; Which can peel up to 2 tons of cassava tubers a day.
2. Cassava scraping machine; Scrape up to 3 tons of cassava tubers a day.
3. hydraulic press; To drain the excess liquid from the grated cassava.
4. Granulator; This machine breaks the grated cassava into tiny granules or mash.
5. Gray frying machine
6. Gary strainer machine
7. Packing machine
A process used for the production of trailers
1. Peeling; Peeled cassava tubers peeled.
2. Laundry; The peeled cassava tubers are then washed to remove dirt.
3. Scraping, crushing or grinding; Washed cassava tubers are reduced to tiny carrots or mashed potatoes.
4. Processing or drying; The dough is placed in a porous bag on which weights are placed to allow free passage of the water, which usually takes several days, but recently a hydraulic press has been used to compress the puree and drain the water within a few hours.
5. Filtering; The dry puree is filtered into fine granules.
6. Frying; The filtered filtered grains are fried in a very large pan and turned with the help of a frying spoon. You can add or not add oil as per the requirement of the consumers. Gary usually comes in two colors - white gears; Gary fried without palm oil
Yellow Garri; Garri fried in palm oil
7. Cooling; The fried gary is then allowed to cool to room temperature.
8. Packaging; The product is then shipped in various quantities and sold to retailers.
How to find cassava tubers
For larger and cheaper production it is recommended to get the cassava produce from farmers in the village markets, or in most cases your personal farm land.
How to store the produced trailers
When Garry is not stored properly it can give way to fungal development in a product that can lead to deterioration. It is safer to store garri in polyethylene bags, rice bags and plastic buckets.
This helps prevent moisture from entering the product. To allow a longer shelf life for the product, proper frying and drying of the gary with a low moisture content should be encouraged.
How to market your gary
Garri is one product that sells without advertisement, but to adopt good marketing techniques one has to adopt.
You can pack your gary in custom bags with your company name and address. The most effective way to market the trailer is by looking for distributors who will supply complete sellers and retailers.
A website and supermarket site where food products are sold and offered good product offers by selling your trailers at discounted prices, this will help build a good customer base for the business.
A good distribution network helps in efficient and effective marketing of the product.
It has been observed that there is no tedious process in the production of the gary. With good knowledge, equipment and suitable workmen, however it is advisable to get practical knowledge first hand in the production of the trailer before you start business. This can be achieved as stated earlier by contacting local factories and manufacturers for assistance.
You can set up a small-scale trailer manufacturing business to enable and anticipate your customer base before you grow your business to a larger scale.
However it is also important to note that good start-up capital is very basic for any successful business.
Content created and supplied by: BusinessBoy (via Opera News )