Sign in
Download Opera News App





OPINION: What Students Who Did Not Meet The Required JAMB Score For Their Course Should Do

The Joint Admission And Matriculation Board (JAMB) Computer Based Test (CBT) Examination recorded mass failure as a high percentage of candidates who sat for the examination scored below 200.

I was asked some questions by some students after they saw their results and I thought of writing an article so as to educate a lot of people who might be confused as to which course they would be given in the institution they put during registration, solely because they did not meet the required score for their course.

Scoring above 200 in JAMB is not enough to secure admission, because different departments have different cut off mark. For instance, if you scored 200 in JAMB and you applied for Medicine and Surgery in the University of Benin, be rest assured that you won't get the course.

What then should you do if you did not meet the required score for the course you applied for?

Firstly, you will have to change your course to the one which is less competitive. Let's assume you applied for a course in Medical Sciences, like Medicine and Surgery and scored 210 in JAMB, you can change the course to Biochemistry, Microbiology, Science Laboratory Technology, Anatomy, Physiology, etc.

Please take note that this depends on the institution you put during registration; most Federal Universities set their benchmark at 200, while State Universities set theirs at 180, so if you scored 210 and your choice of Institution is a State-Owned University, then you can change to the courses I listed above.

Secondly, you may have to change your institution if you did not meet the required score for the course you applied for. For Instance, assuming you scored 230 and you applied for Pharmacy in a Federal University like UNIBEN, you may not be admitted into this department because of how competitive it is, and if you really want to study the course, you may have to change your institution to a State-Owned University where the benchmark is set at 180. Doing this will give you a high chance of securing admission in Pharmacy.

Thirdly, you can decide not to buy a change of course or institution form and may want to rely on the institution you put in JAMB to put you in a different department that matches your JAMB score. For instance, let's assume you scored 220 in JAMB and applied for Medicine and Surgery, the institution might change your course to Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology, Anatomy, Medical Laboratory, etc.

In conclusion, it should be noted that most institutions give priority to students from the state where the institution is located. For you to gain admission into this institution, you must score high in JAMB so as to be part of the merit list.

What should you do if you did not score high in JAMB?

My advice to you is that you should change institution if you fall in this category to an institution that is within your region so as to have a higher chance of securing admission.

You read this and still have some questions? Kindly drop them in the comment section while I provide answers to them.

Content created and supplied by: ReignJerry (via Opera News )

JAMB Joint Admission And Matriculation Board Medical Sciences


Load app to read more comments