About 20% of students who graduate from secondary schools yearly want to study medicine and surgery in the University(MBBS) ,but only 5% of them actually get the admission, so I will tell you why it's so and what you should do to be among the 5% who get admitted.
First thing you should is that the course deals with issues of human life and their well being, so only the most serious and dedicated students usually get admitted, anyone who wishes to study this course has to sit up in his/her studies.
The reason few persons get admitted per year both in Nigeria and the world at large is due to the low admission and graduation quota, unlike other courses which either have large quota or none at all, medicine and surgery has a small quota, for example the University of Ibadan has the highest MBBS quota of 180,UNILAG has 150, UNIBEN has 100,etc, the full list of MBBS quota in all Nigerian universities will be displayed below.
Now that the reason has being properly stated, the secret to gaining admission into any university to study medicine and surgery include :
1. Apply for schools with high academic results.
2.Aim at a minimum of 300+ in JAMB UTME EXAM.
3. Your WASSCE result should be filled up with A's and B 's, having multiple C's will reduce your chances.
4. Don't ever two sitting to apply for medicine and surgery because you will likely not be accepted.
5. Pick universities in your catchment area, because the quota will be too small to admit people outside their quota.
6. Aim for 90%+ in the University's POST UTME.
Below are the Nigerian universities and their medicine quota.
Content created and supplied by: medic.paulb (via Opera News )