Sign in
Download Opera News App



College Education


OPINION: What JAMB Students Who Scored Less Than 200 Should Know And How They Can Secure Admission

I have received a lot of messages from some JAMB students who scored less than 200 and majority of them have been asking several questions whether they would be admitted to the institution they put as first choice.

There are three things you should know if you scored less than 200 in UTME, these things are;

1. Most Federal Universities Do Not Accept Less Than 200

I have seen questions like: "I scored 196, please can I gain admission into the University of Benin (UNIBEN)?". Just like as I have said, most Federal Universities do not accept less than 200 and UNIBEN happens to be one of them. Universities like University of Lagos, University of Ibadan, University of Benin, Obafemi Awolowo University, and so many more do not accept less than 200.

2. Most State-Owned Universities Accept Less Than 200

If your first choice institution is a state-owned institution and you scored less than 200, then you should not be scared because there is still hope for you. Most state-owned Universities like Ambrose Alli University (AAU), Delta State University (DELSU), Imo State University, Owerri, Ondo State University of Science and Technology, Okitipupa, etc accept a JAMB score of 180.

3. The JAMB Cut-Off Mark Is Based On The Department You Applied For

Despite the fact that most State-Owned University accepts less than 200 does it mean if you scored 180 and applied for Medicine and Surgery in DELSU you will be given admission. Different Departments have their specific cut-off marks which is what institutions use to give admission.

I scored less than 200, how can I secure admission?

There are several things you can do to secure admission if you scored less than 200. Some of the things are;

1. Buy Change Of Institution Form

If you scored less than 200 and the institution you put during registration accepts 200, you can purchase a change of institution form once they start selling it so that you can change your institution to the one that accepts less than 200 and start preparing for the Institution's entrance examination so as to secure admission.

2. Buy Change Of Course Form

Like my third point where I explain what you should know if you scored less than 200, different departments have different cut-off marks so if you know that you cannot get the course you applied for with a JAMB score of say 190, then getting a change of course form will be the best thing to do.

The form enables you to change the course you initially applied for to another course you feel is less competitive. For instance, assuming you applied for Pharmacy in AAU and you scored 190 in JAMB, you may not be admitted because of how competitive it is and you may have to change your course from Pharmacy to less competitive courses like Microbiology, Biochemistry, Botany.

3. Run A 1-Year University Programme Which Will Take You To 200L

Some Universities run a one-year program and after the program, you get admitted into the same University and start from 200L. University of Benin for instance run the Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB), a program that runs for 12 months and prepares you like an 100L student.

If you meet the required points, you will be admitted into the same institution where you did the program. Please note that JUPEB program does not require JAMB, so if you did not write, you can still run the program.

Was this helpful at all? If you have any question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Content created and supplied by: ReignJerry (via Opera News )

Federal Federal Universities JAMB UNIBEN University of Ibadan


Load app to read more comments