Richa Langella (born Antara Gangopadhyay ) , is a former Indian actress and model who predominantly appeared in Telugu, Tamil and Bengali films. She completed an MBA degree from Washington University in St. Louis in May 2017.
After appearing in commercials, Richa made her film debut with the Telugu political drama film Leader (2010) and later worked on several commercially successful Telugu films such as
Nagavalli (2010), Mirapakaay (2011),
Sarocharu (2012) and Mirchi (2013). She also played the lead in two Tamil films, including the Dabangg remake, Osthe (2012) and the critically acclaimed film
Mayakkam Enna (2012), directed by Selvaraghavan, for which she received numerous "Best Actress" awards. She also appeared in the Bengali film
In October 2013, she announced that she would leave the film industry and move back to the United States to pursue her MBA and focus on her long-term career ambitions.  In a short span of four years, she starred along with prominent Telugu, Tamil and Bengali actors such as Rana ,
Venkatesh, Nagarjuna , Ravi Teja,
Prabhas , Dhanush , Prosenjit and
Richa Langella was born as Antara Gangopadhyay in New Delhi and moved to the United States at the age of three.  Her father works as the Vice President of Netshape Technologies, while her mother works as the Deputy Director of the prestigious Institute of Museums and Library Services, after having been nominated by President Obama to serve as a member of the IMLS Board. Her parents settled in the U.S. in 1989 after spending her first year in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, with Richa being brought up in Pennsylvania and Michigan . While attending Okemos High School , as a Junior, she was featured in the local media for founding a youth-tutoring program for at-risk children in Lansing, which she ran for four years.  She went on to major in Dietetics and Health Administration at
Michigan State University  but graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Communications with a minor in Theatre Arts. After completing her undergraduate, she continued on to completing her Masters in Business Administration. Richa is married to her business school classmate Joe Langella.
Early career and modeling (2005–09)
In August 2007, Richa won the Miss India Michigan pageant and in December of that year, was crowned
Miss India USA 2007 at the 26th annual Miss India USA pageant, held at Royal Albert's Palace in New Jersey . Richa also secured the title of Miss Photogenic. She represented the U.S. in the 17th Annual Miss India Worldwide Pageant held in Johannesburg, and secured a place in the Top 10.
Richa left the U.S. in 2008 for Mumbai, India to embark on a career in films. She subsequently graduated with a diploma in acting from Anupam Kher 's acting school, Actor Prepares, and completed her portfolio, earning offers for work in fashion shows and for modeling. In early 2009, Richa featured in a commercial for Dabur Vatika Almond Hair Oil alongside Bollywood actress Preity Zinta , while also appearing in several print ads and TV commercials for Peter England People, Pepe Jeans, Malabar Gold and Kalaniketan.
Public recognition and success in films (2010–2013)
Richa debuted with Rana Daggubati and Priya Anand in 2010 Telugu film
Leader , produced by AVM Productions and directed by Sekhar Kammula.  She was recommended to an assistant director of Leader , who in turn recommended her to Sekhar Kammula. Gangopadhyay went to Hyderabad to audition for the film on her birthday. She was selected instantly and started shooting started 2 days later. In the film, she played the role of Archana, a news reporter, daughter of a politician and love interest of the title character, played by debutant Rana Daggubati. The film opened in theatres worldwide to positive reviews and did well commercially, with Gangopadhyay's performance described as "pretty and charming" and "good in a performance oriented role" by critics.  After the success of the film, director P. Vasu signed her up to appear in
Nagavalli , a sequel to his 2005 film
Chandramukhi. The film featured an ensemble cast of Venkatesh, Anushka Shetty, Shraddha Das and Poonam Kaur . The film opened to mixed reviews, with Gangopadhyay's portrayal of a girl psychologically possessed by the ghost of Nagavalli, leading to critics dubbing her as "impressive" and "convincing".
Her first release in 2011 was the action film Mirapakaay , starring opposite Ravi Teja for the first time. She was signed after the director of the film, Harish Shankar , who had noticed her at the success party of her previous film
Leader . He initially offered her the role played by Deeksha as she was an NRI , but when they met to review the script, he was convinced that Gangopadhyay would do justice to the character of Vinamra, a traditional Telugu Brahmin girl.  The film opened to good reviews with Gangopadhyay's performance being described as "good and just about hold her own in the dance sequences" by critics.  Gangopadhyay was next seen in two Tamil films; the first being Mayakkam Enna , a drama film featuring Dhanush and directed by Selvaraghavan , which earned her tremendous positive reviews and appreciation from all over. She then appeared alongside
Silambarasan in Dharani 's Osthe , the Tamil remake of the 2010 Hindi film
Dabangg , winning critical acclaim for her role as Neduvaali. In 2012, she made her debut in Bengali, her mother tongue, through the film Bikram Singha : The Lion Is Back , opposite the prolific Prosenjit Chatterjee , a remake of the Telugu film Vikramarkudu .  She also featured in the Telugu films
Sarocharu,  Mirchi and Bhai opposite actors Ravi Teja , Prabhas and
Nagarjuna , which were released in 2012 and 2013.
In October 2013, Richa announced that she would leave the Indian film industry and move back to the United States to pursue her MBA and focus on a long-term career in business management.
Year Title Role(s) Lang
2010 Leader Archana Telu
2010 Nagavalli Gowri/ Chandramukhi Telu
2011 Mirapakaay Vinamra Telu
2011 Mayakkam Enna Yamini Tami
2011 Osthe Neduvaali Tami
2012 Bikram Singha: The Lion Is Back Madhu Beng
2012 Sarocharu Vasudha Telu
2013 Mirchi Maanasa Telu
2013 Bhai Radhika Telu
2011: Superhit Film Award for Most Talented Debutante of the Year
2012: Fashion Awards- Stylish Diva Award
2012: Edison Award for Best Actress – Mayakkam Enna
2012: Norway Tamil Film Festival Award for Best Actress for
2012: South Indian International Movie Award (SIIMA) for Critics' Choice- Best Actress for Mayakkam Enna
1. ^ "Mayakkam Enna actress Richa Gangopadhyay engaged to college sweetheart Joe Langella" . India Today. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
2. ^ "Pic Talk: Richa Gangopadhyay turns Richa Langella" .
Gulte.com . 28 April 2020. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
3. ^ "Richa Gangopadhyay about Executive MBA program- The new mantra of success" . The Hans India. 3 May 2016. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
4. ^ "Richa Gangopadhyay to take a break from films" . The Times of India. 21 October 2013. Retrieved
26 August 2016.
5. ^ K. Janani DC chennai (13 September 2011). "Richa Gangopadhyay: Indian roots, American confidence!" . Deccan Chronicle. Archived from the original on 26 September 2011. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
6. ^ "Plymouth News" . Richagangopadhyay.com. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
7. ^ "Richa: No skin show please!" .
The Times Of India. 15 March 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
8. ^ " 'Mirchi' actress Richa Gangopadhyay gets married to college sweetheart Joe Langella" . Times of India. 18 December 2019. Retrieved 20 April 2020.
9. ^ "Richa Gangopadhyay is Miss India USA 2007" . Bihar Times. 5 January 2008. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
10. ^ "Meet the new Miss India USA – Rediff.com movies" . Inhome.rediff.com. 31 December 2007. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
11. ^ a b "Richa Gangopadhyay interview – Telugu Cinema interview – Telugu film actress" . Idlebrain.com. 16 February 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
12. ^ "Leader : Money, Power and E-Seva!" . 123Telugu.com. 3 October 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
13. ^ "Review: Leader comes at the right time" . Movies.rediff.com. 19 February 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
14. ^ "Leader film review – Telugu cinema Review – RaNa Daggubati, Richa Gangopadhyay & Priya Anand" . Idlebrain.com. 19 February 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
15. ^ "Nagavalli is fascinating" . Rediff.com. 16 December 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
16. ^ "Movie Review:Nagavalli review" . Sify.com. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
17. ^ 'My character in Mirapakai is just too cute to handle' . Rediff. 10 January 2011
18. ^ "Mirapakaya" . 123Telugu.com. 3 October 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2020.
19. ^ "Richa makes her debut in Bengali" . 123telugu.com. 27 December 2011. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
20. ^ "Richa's Ooty romance" .
Behind Woods. 27 July 2012. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
21. ^ "Richa takes break from films" . The Times of India . 21 October 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
22. ^ TSR Tv9 Film Awards - Richa Gangopadhyay - April 20th, Saturday . 2013. Event occurs at 00:49. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
23. ^ "Superhit Film Awards 2010 Winners! – Mirchi 9 – Web Mirchi | Telugu Movie News from leading websites |Telugu Movie Gossips" . Mirchi9.com. 16 January 2011. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
24. ^ "Southspin Fashion Awards Winners 2012" . southspin. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
25. ^ "Vijay and Richa win big at Edison awards" . Behindwoods. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
26. ^ "Vishal and Richa are the big winners!" . Behindwoods. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
27. ^ "2012 SIIMA Awards:Winners List" . Kolllyinsider. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
Richa Langella on Twitter
Richa Gangopadhyay on Instagram
Richa Langella on IMDb.
Content created and supplied by: Abdullahiibraheem99 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More