Olufela Anikulapo Kuti known professionally as Fela Kuti was born on the 15th of October 1938 in Abeokuta.
Fela Kuti was a Multi-Instrumentalist,musician,composer and pioneer of the popular Afrobeat music genre.
Fela is widely regarded as one of the greatest Africans of all time because of his strong activism spirit and detest to corruption.
Today's article would feature things you didn't know about the Afrobeat pioneer.
Among the many was that he was arrested more than 200 times,hence holding the record of the most trialed Musician ever in World history.
Here are other facts you didn't know about the hysteria Fela Kuti:
1. Fela Kuti was associated with 8 record labels which include; Barclay,MCA,Celluloid,EMI Nigeria,JVC,Wrasse,Shannachie and Knitting Factory Music during his life time.
2. Fela came up with the name "Afrobeat" in 1967 when he went to Ghana to think up a New music direction.
3. In 1977,Fela Kuti's Kalakuta Republic was attacked by 1000 soldiers following the release of his popular hit "Zombie".
His mother got killed in the process.
4. In 1978, barely a year after the demise of his mother,Fela married 27 women many of which were his dancers,composers and singers.
Fela actually did that to mark the anniversary of the attack of his Kalakuta Republic and also to protect his wives from false claims that Fela Kidnapped them.
See Some of his Wives Photos:
5. In 1984,The then Military President,Buhari who is currently the President of Nigeria jailed Fela Kuti and charged him with Currency smuggling which Amnesty international and others denounced as politically motivated.
Before the 1984 arrest,Fela released a track titled "Beast of no Nation" which scathingly directed a message to Buhari.
Part of the lyrics are "No be Outside Buhari dey,na craze man be that,animal in craze man skin ".
6. Fela Kuti had his own party which he called " Movement of the People".
7. Fela collaborated with Hugh Masakela,Sir Victor Olaiya,The Egypt 80 and many more during his lifetime.
8. Fela Kuti's death was announced on the 3rd of August 1997 by his Elder brother Olikoye Kuti who was a prominent AIDS activist and also former minister of Health.
9.Fela's death was a mystery as there were no definitive proofs about what caused his death.
10. Over a Million people attended Fela Kuti's Funeral.
Do you know more you'd like to share, feel free to leave a comment and don't forget to share with friends.
Content created and supplied by: waletunz (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More