One of the prevailing topics that is broadly debated for many years in christendom is Christian dressing. When it comes to women putting on trousers, most people keep quoting Deuteronomy 22:5, as a prove that the Bible did not support women wearing trousers, saying it is a sin,this is not right.
From all the versions of the bible I have read this passage from, there is no place "trouser" was mentioned. Though I stand to be corrected but below are the quoted words of five different versions of the bible of Deuteronomy 22:5 ;
1. King James Version: "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."
2. English Standard Version: “A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God."
3. New International Version: "A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this."
4. The Amplified Bible: "The woman shall not wear that which pertains to a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all that do so are an abomination to the Lord your God."
5. Contemporary English Version: "Women must not pretend to be men, and men must not pretend to be women.[a] The Lord your God is disgusted with people who do that."
From the above mentioned versions of the Bible, the Contemporary English Version gives a clearer understanding and meaning to what the Bible us saying in Deuteronomy 22:5, that is a woman pretending to be a man and vice versa.
The fact is there were no trousers as at the time this quoted law was given, the explanation to the garment or clothing mentioned in the verse mentioned above is that a woman should not wear a garment already worn by a man or vice versa. This is because the law sees any woman on her monthly period as defiled then and a man will be defiled as well if they share the same clothing.
It is very important to note that men and women were putting the same kind of garment as at that time but that was the law in action.
Thanks to Jesus Christ, we are no longer interested the law anymore.To those that still argue that it is indecent for women to wear trousers as they lead the men to lust after them, thereby sinning in the process. My answer is very simple there are gowns, skirts and tops that are very revealing and indescent, that alone can lead many into sin so that argument holds no water.
The problem should not be whether women should wear trouser or not, it is more about the motive of dressing because that's what God is looking at. It is not a sin for a Christian woman to dress smart and look decent even in trousers. That you don't like or believe in something doesn't make it a sin when others do. Let's be guided by the Bible and not sentiments.
What do you think about a woman wearing trouser?
Do you agree with my view on this topic?
Please kindly say your thoughts on the topic in the comment section.
Don't forget to like and share to get the thought of others on this topic.
Content created and supplied by: Ozyangel (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More