Growing up and till now, it has always been my duty to wash beans every Saturday. I dreaded this function because I would stand hours before I finished washing beans and it does not always come out as i had wanted. To beat time, i would start as early as 3 pm so as to finish by 5 pm and go to market to grind. This was basically my routine until I learnt an easy way to wash my beans as quickly as possible and that's what I would be teaching you today. Now, as an expert, lol, I start by 4 pm to wash my beans and before 4:30 pm, I'm done.
I know many find washing beans for moi-moi or ''Akara' hard, so sit tight, read on and learn how to wash beans the easy way.
First things first
Get your things ready:
Water in a bowl.
Steps in washing beans
- Put your beans in a bowl, pour clean water to the level of the beans. the water shouldn't be above the beans.
- Allow beans to soak not more than 2 minutes. Preferably don't allow it soak at all. Remember your aim is to peel the back of the beans but if you soak it for too long, the beans itself becomes soft and it will be difficult for the back to peel off. This was my major mistake then.
- Start to rub the beans against each other using your hand (in a washing cloth format) or you can use pestle.
- Continue with this till you notice that a good number of the back is peeled off. You would notice that it comes off easily.
- Pour enough water into the bowl, enough more than the level of the beans. This is to help remove the peeled back which is now shaft.
- Sift the the shaft away using sieve. Pour the water back into the beans and continue this till you must have removed all the shaft.
- You may notice some beans are not peeled well, repeat step 3, 4 and 5.
- For a more clean work, put your beans in a tray, peel the remaining unpeeled back and remove any dirt in this.
- Hurrah!, you are good to go. Put your washed beans into a bucket, add a little water to soak for easy grinding.
- Add your ingredients:
Pepper: preferably red pepper
What is your experience with washing beans? Share with us.
Do like, share and comment so that others can learn too.
Content created and supplied by: NurseAdaku (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More