Jollof Rice is a tasty West African meal. It is a main dish which can be accompanied with salad, chicken, turkey, moin moin(beans cake), plantains. It is one of the most common West African dishes eaten in the regions of Nigeria, Ghana, Togo, Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Sierra Leone, etc. However, each of these countries have their own variations of this meal. It is inexpensive to make and very delicious!
Here is my Nigerian version!
• 5 medium sized tomatoes (chopped).
• 1 red bell pepper (chopped).
• 1 medium sized onion (chopped).
• 2 scotch bonnet peppers (also known as habanero peppers).
• 1/4 cup of cooking oil.
• 3 tbsp of tomato paste.
• 2 cups of parboiled rice.
• 2 1/2 cups of stock (chicken, meat, turkey).
• 1 tsp of salt.
• 1/2 tsp curry powder.
• 1/2 tsp thyme.
• 1 tsp all purpose seasoning.
• 1 knorr stock cube ( any other product is suitable).
• 3 bay leaves.
• Water (as needed).
1. Blend your tomatoes, red pepper, scotch bonnet pepper in a food processor or blender for about 45 seconds. Make sure everything is blended well.
2. In a medium sized pot, heat your oil on a medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated, add the onions and fry for a few seconds. When the onions are properly fried, add the tomato paste for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the blended tomato mixture with the onions and tomato paste for about 30 minutes. Stir consistently so that the mixture doesn't burn.
3. After 30 minutes, lower the heat down to medium and add the chicken stock. Mix and add your seasonings (salt, curry powder, thyme, all purpose seasoning and the Knorr stock cube). Continue to boil for 10 minutes.
4. Add the parboiled rice to the pot. Mix it very well with the tomato stew. Add water to make sure the rice cooks well. Put in the bay leaves, cover the pot and put it in medium-low heat for 15-30 minutes.
5. Make sure the liquid is completely dried up and serve with any accompaniment of your choice.
Content created and supplied by: Oyindamola1234 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More