But you do not have to break a bank to prepare this soup if you are not a fisherman. You can cut down on some of the ingredients but whatever you do, make sure you add clams because it adds a lot of flavour to this soup.
1 Cow leg OR you use 1kg beef and 4 large kpomo
3 medium fresh fish
2 cups clams
1 cup sea snails
½ cup periwinkles
1 cup shrimps
6 medium cocoyams
1 tablespoon uziza seeds (false cubeb)
1-2 yellow habanero peppers
2 big stock cubes
Bitter leaves (washed)
5 Uziza leaves (false kubeb)
2 cooking spoons (¼ cup) red palm oil
2 Knorr seasoning cubes
Salt to taste
COOKING DIRECTIONS FOR NATIVE SOUP
1. Wash cow leg with salt and water scrubbing thoroughly and rinsing for about 4 to 5 times. Wash well and put in the pot you’ll cook the soup.
2. Shell the clams, snails, sea snails and periwinkles and remove the intestines. In Nigerian markets, the sellers can do these for you.
3. Cow leg takes time to cook, you may want to cook it soft with a pressure cooker before transferring into the soup pot. Most times I add plenty onions and pepper to help soften it fast.
4. Add the snails into the pot and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Add ground uziza, the clams, sea snails, shrimps and fish, top up the water if necessary and cook till the are all done.
6. Take out the pot and set aside.
Add the cocoyam in small lumps. Add the bitter leaves, yellow pepper and palm oil. Cover and cook till the lumps of cocoyam dissolve. Stir the contents of the pot very often.
Add salt to taste.
Add the already cooked meat and fish back into the pot of soup. Stir, cover and let it simmer.
7. Enjoy this Rivers State native with garri, fufu, semolina, wheat meal, Etc.
Content created and supplied by: Onyenkem (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More