Sugar is a sweetener, used at homes to and in the industries to sweeten foods. Making sugar is actually easier than you think.
Only few ingredients are needed for making sugar. These are sugar canes, water, quick lime, and animal charcoal (burnt bones).
Here are simple 5 steps of making sugar;
1) Crush the sugar canes and squeeze them to obtain the raw juice. Spray the crushed sugar canes with water, and again squeeze. Repeat this process several times to obtain more impure (dirty) raw juice.
2) Boil the raw juice with quick lime and filter the precipitated impurities (solid particles). Add little water to the filtrate (liquid juice) and allow to evaporate (expose to dry), and then crystallize (heat to dry) the juice. You'll obtain some thick dark-brown syrup called MOLASSES.
Repeat the above step 2 further so as to obtain more crystals (pure forms) of sugar, together with dilute molasses - the filtrate.
3) Refine the raw sugar by adding a calculated quantity amount of water, in order to wash off the molasses. Then, dissolve in hot water to obtain brown syrup.
4) Use animal charcoal (carbon from burnt animal bones) to remove the brown colour from the brown syrup to give a colourless syrup.
5) Evaporate this colourless syrup, crystallize, filter and then dry it to obtain white granulated (small grains) sugar.
The granulated sugar can be sprayed with a small quantity of water to moisten, so as to compress it to form shapes like cube.
Content created and supplied by: Olusegun_oshey (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More