Now the dish is not only popular in the Southern part of Togo, but also in the Volta Region in Ghana. Today, I will teach how to make this delicious Garri Fotor for your family. Its an easy dish to prepare but therein lies the possibility to ‘blast’ if you miss some steps.
Follow me as I walk you through the procedures to avoid making something that will look like eba.
1. 8 Fresh small-sized tomatoes
2. Slices of One Red Onion
3. Red pepper
4. Chopped carrots
5. Chopped spring onions
6. Spices – Oregano & Curry
7. Pinch of salt
9. 1 ½ cup of gari
10. Green pepper
11. Quarter cup of cooking oil
12. A tablespoonful of tin tomato paste
13. Seasoning cube (This is optional)
15. Yellow pepper
16. Garlic and ginger
The first thing to make is the sauce and the sauce has to be on point for the dish to be great.
1. Pour the vegetable oil into a saucepan and pour in your chopped onion, garlic and ginger. Caramelize your onions to get a better taste.
2. Add the tomatoes which you can choose to blend or chopped up into cubes for more character. Fry until there is no moisture left in the tomatoes.
3. Season your chicken with seasoning cubes, garlic, ginger, salt, bay leaf, and rosemary.
4. Fry the chicken until the colour changes to golden brown and add it to the sauce.
5. Add the chopped carrots, cabbage, green pepper, spring onions, yellow pepper and red pepper as the sauce nears cooking. This is to ensure that the vegetables still have a crunchy feel afterwards.
6. Stir occasionally for five minutes.
7. Sprinkle some water onto the gari to get it look a bit fluffy. Not too much oh! Less than a quarter depending on the quantity. Adding the gari without add some water to eat will make it look dry and difficult to consume.
8. Allow the sauce to cool down for about 10 minutes. If you add the gari immediately to the hot dish, you are likely to have something that would look like banku or Eba in sauce. To make sure the desired consistency is obtained, allow the sauce to cool down.
9. Add the gari one handful at a time until you add all. Mix properly and dish out to your family.
If you have never tried making Gari Fortor on your own, now is your chance. How else do you prepare yours? Do you have a secret recipe? Do share with us in the comments section below.
Content created and supplied by: Chy04 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More