The seeds of a drupe are protected by hard, stone-like pits. Because of this, we can also call plums stone fruit. The peach, nectarin, and apricot families all include plums as a member. Nonetheless, plums have a considerably wider range of varieties than other stone fruits. They come in many shapes and sizes, with skin colors like red, purple, green, yellow, and orange and flesh colors like pink, yellow, and orange.
They originated in China many centuries ago. Eventually, people started bringing plums to places like Japan, Europe, and the United States. More than 2,000 species are now widely cultivated around the globe.
The health advantages of plums are the real fruit of the package, much more so than their delicate sweetness in salads and desserts.
In terms of health, plums are a good choice. And according to WebMD the following are some health benefits of plum:
1. Cardiovascular disease - The phytochemicals and nutrients found in plums have been shown to reduce the inflammation that can lead to cardiovascular problems. Concerning anxiety, eating one plum daily has been shown to have beneficial effects. Low levels of antioxidants have been linked to increased anxiety.
2. Plums, like prunes, can relieve constipation by stimulating gastrointestinal motility. Sorbitol, a type of sugar alcohol, is abundant in them and has laxative effects.
3. The potassium in plums helps regulate blood pressure in two different ways, which is important for preventing high blood pressure and stroke. Sodium is flushed out of the body in the urine, and the reduced tension in the blood vessel walls aids in blood pressure regulation. Reduced risk of stroke results from lower blood pressure.
4. Antioxidants are plentiful, which is great since they prevent cell and tissue damage, which can result in diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and cancer.
5. Plums are high in fiber, which reduces blood sugar after a meal including carbohydrates. Also, they can increase adiponectin synthesis, a hormone that aids in glucose control.
6. To maintain healthy bones, eat prunes (dry plums) since they have been shown in animal studies to slow or even stop bone loss.
Content created and supplied by: EmmysteveWrites (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More