Pounded yam is a dietary staple that is eaten by Africans and in Nigeria, it is mostly loved by the Benue people. The major reason why it is loved is solely because of its smoothness and the ease at which it passes through the throat.
Pounded yam is prepared either by using yam-pounding machine, or by pounding yam manually. It is a source of carbohydrate which provides energy for the body, in order to carryout day-to-day activities. Pounded yam is rich in calories, as a small slice of yam contains about 330 calories.
Pounded yam also contains high glycemic index; a value given to a carbohydrate-rich food relating to the effects of the food on blood sugar level.
1. It has been shown that pounded yam has the highest glycemic index compared to boiled yam, which in turn has a negative effect on blood sugar level. For the advanced people, continuous consumption of pounded yam may lead to type 2 diabetes, which is characterized by the inability of the cells of the body to respond to insulin's call, thus increasing the level of sugar in the blood and reducing the clearance rate by insulin.
The major reason why pounded yam consumption in advanced people may lead to type 2 diabetes is because of the fact that pounded yam contains a lot of calories and excess of it can be converted to fats, and stored in the adipose tissue, which in turn keeps adding to your weight and this can lead to obesity. Obese people are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
2. Consumption of pounded yam has also been linked with an increased risk of high blood pressure, due to the fact that carbohydrates can be converted to fats and the fats can be turned into cholesterol in the body. There are basically two cholesterol carrying lipoproteins in the body, they are: low density lipoprotein (LDL) and high density lipoprotein (HDL). When HDL carries cholesterol, it is referred to as a good cholesterol, but when LDL carries cholesterol, it is referred to as a bad cholesterol.
LDL-cholesterol blocks the arteries, thereby leading to an atherosclerotic plaque which causes cardiovascular diseases, such as coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, etc.
It is therefore wise to mind the things you wat as you grow old, because your metabolic rate reduces with an increase in age. The rate at which the digestive system of a child acts on pounded yam is different from that of an advanced person. For this singular reason, eating pounded yam increases the work load of the digestive system, as well as increasing glycemic load.
Quick Tips For Advanced People
1. Eat less fat and more unrefined carbohydrate.
2. Avoiding taking heavy food.
3. Avoid alcohol.
4. Avoid spicy food and snacks.
5. Don't eat late at night.
7. Eat more fruits.
Please ensure you pass this information to others and drop your comments and questions.
Content created and supplied by: Osasbio (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More