A quick low calorie, low fat version of the old favorite. For variety, top with sauteed mushrooms, cooked crumbled sausage, or steamed spinach.
Recipe for the dough
- half cup of all purpose flour or one quarter cup of all purpose flour and one quarter cup of whole wheat flour.
-. One eighth teaspoon of salt
-. One and a half teaspoons of baking powder.
-. 3 to 4 tablespoons of water.
Recipe for the topping
-. One third cup of low salt marinara sauce.
-. One quarter cup of shredded skim milk mozzarella cheese
-. Half large green pepper, seeded and sliced
-. One tablespoons of chopped basil (optional)
1. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Add the water and stir with a fork until the dough comes together, adding a few teaspoon more of water if necessary. Knead the dough until smooth for about 2 minutes. Shape it into a ball, cover with a clean towel, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
2. Roll the dough into a 10 inch circle, using flour as needed to prevent it from sticking.
3. Preheat the broiler. Brush a medium size non-stick skillet lightly with vegetable oil and set over moderate heat until very hot, like about one minute. Add the dough and cook until the underside is dry and flecked with brown spots. 2 to 3 minutes, (the dough will puff up in spots, but the sauce will cover them up.)
4. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet and spread the sauce evenly over the crust. Sprinkle with the cheese and top with the green pepper rings.
5. Broil 4 inches from the heat until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese has melted for 2 to 3 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with the basil if desired. Serve immediately.
Content created and supplied by: Kayryan1 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More