A quick low calorie, low fat version of the old favorite. For variety, top with sauteed mushrooms, cooked crumbled sausage, or steamed spinach.
Recipe for the dough
- half cup of all purpose flour or one quarter cup of all purpose flour and one quarter cup of whole wheat flour.
-. One eighth teaspoon of salt
-. One and a half teaspoons of baking powder.
-. 3 to 4 tablespoons of water.
Recipe for the topping
-. One third cup of low salt marinara sauce.
-. One quarter cup of shredded skim milk mozzarella cheese
-. Half large green pepper, seeded and sliced
-. One tablespoons of chopped basil (optional)
1. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Add the water and stir with a fork until the dough comes together, adding a few teaspoon more of water if necessary. Knead the dough until smooth for about 2 minutes. Shape it into a ball, cover with a clean towel, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
2. Roll the dough into a 10 inch circle, using flour as needed to prevent it from sticking.
3. Preheat the broiler. Brush a medium size non-stick skillet lightly with vegetable oil and set over moderate heat until very hot, like about one minute. Add the dough and cook until the underside is dry and flecked with brown spots. 2 to 3 minutes, (the dough will puff up in spots, but the sauce will cover them up.)
4. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet and spread the sauce evenly over the crust. Sprinkle with the cheese and top with the green pepper rings.
5. Broil 4 inches from the heat until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese has melted for 2 to 3 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with the basil if desired. Serve immediately.
Content created and supplied by: Kayryan1 (via Opera News )