Ingredients for the Mince
- 1 whole Onion (Cut into rings for the crunchy tang)
- 1 Green pepper (Julienne Sliced)
- 3 Carrots (Julienne Sliced)
- Extra Virgin olive Oil (15 -25 ml)
- 2 Garlic Gloves (Finely Chopped)
- 4 Celery Sticks (Finely Chopped)
- Tomato Puree
- Black Pepper
- Worcester Sauce
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 Bottle Of Dry Red Wine (750 ml)
- Beef Mince
- Slices of bacon (Optional)
- Dried Oregano
- 1 Spring Rosemary
Ingredients for the Béchamel Sauce
- 1 Liter fresh Milk
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 70 g of Butter
- 70 g of Flour
Ingredients for the Lasagna layers (Baking)
- Lasagne Sheets
- Tomato puree (for the base)
- Olive oil
- Fresh parsley
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese/Cheddar Cheese
Step one 1 (Mince)
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over low heat, and add onions, green peppers, chopped celery sticks, rosemary, carrots and the crushed garlic.
- Fry until the onions are nicely caramelized with a dash of dried oregano, black pepper, pink himalayan salt and Worcester sauce (10-15 minutes).
- Then add the mince and bacon, and cook until the liquid from the meat is absorbed by the veggies.
- Add 400 to 450 ml of dry red wine into the blend and cook for about 30 - 45 minutes (whisk to consistency).
- Then add the tomato puree, cover the pan and allow to slow cook over low heat for about 1 – 2 hours.
Step 2 (Béchamel sauce)
- Melt 70 g of butter in a saucepan (preferably no-stick pan).
- Then stir in an equal amount of flour (70g) and cook the mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- Then stir in warm milk (800ml), a little at a time, making sure to stir well so that no lumps are formed.
- Allow the mixture to boil and whisk constantly until it is smooth, and thickened.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer very gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring consistently.
- Then Whisk in the nutmeg, pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Boil for 2 minutes and allow to cool down before use.
Step 3 (Baking the lasagne)
- First blanch your lasagne sheets in salted hot water for 3-5 minutes.
- Before you can start with your lasagne layers, lay a bed of tomato puree in your deep glass dish, and dash 3 table spoons of olive oil on the tomato puree bed, distributing the blend across the glass dish (this step keeps your lasagne sheets moist and prevent the sheets from sticking to the base of the dish)
- Then place the sheets over the tomato puree base, and paste the meat sauce (beef mince) on the sheets. Follow this with some of the grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese, and sprinkle over some freshly chopped parsley. Then top up the sheet with a layer of the now thick béchamel sauce and start with the second layer on top of the first one.
- Repeat this step twice until all the ingredients are used up, putting extra cheese on the top most sheet.
- Now apply some olive oil, butter or non-stick cooking spray on a piece of foil and then cover the dish before baking (the non-stick effect is just to prevent the cheese from sticking on the foil as you bake in the oven).
- Pre-heat the oven at 190 °C and then bake your lasagne for an hour.
- Then remove the foil after an hour and broil for extra 5 minutes (for the crunchy like effect).
- Allow to cool down for 5 - 10 minutes and serve.
By: Monti Montsha
Content created and supplied by: studio.opera.com (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More