Sickle cell disease is a hereditary disorder that creates malformed red blood cells.
The Economic Times"/>
Photo Credit: The Economic Times
One of the most prevalent inherited blood anemias is sickle cell anemia. Africans and African Americans are the main victims of the disease. Sickle cell anemia (also known as sickle cell disease) is a blood illness caused by an inherited defective hemoglobin gene (the oxygen-carrying protein within the red blood cells).
Photo Credit: Mayo Clinic
Red blood cells become distorted (sickled under a microscope) as a result of the defective hemoglobin. The delicate sickled red blood cells are prone to rupturing. Anemia occurs when the quantity of red blood cells in the body decreases due to rupture (hemolysis). Sickle cell anemia is the medical term for this illness. The sickled cells' abnormal shape can potentially obstruct blood arteries, causing tissue and organ damage.
See 5 Facts about the disease.
1. Sickle cell anemia (SCD) is a blood hemoglobin condition that is hereditary.
2. Two sickle cell genes must be inherited in order to develop sickle cell anemia.
3. Sickle cell trait, which is caused by the inheritance of a single sickle gene, almost never causes complications.
4. Almost all of the major symptoms of sickle cell anemia are caused by irregularly shaped sickled red blood cells obstructing blood flow.
5. The current treatment of sickle cell anemia is directed primarily toward managing the individual features of the illness as they occur.
Content created and supplied by: Dr-Kikiope (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More