Sign in
Download Opera News App

 

 

7 Consumables You Didn't Know Had Fatal Effects If Overdosed

Coffee

Coffee is the brewed drink prepared from roasted coffee beans. This stimulant drink can cause a heart attack when taken in great quantities. One would have consumed about 70 cups at once to be at risk of overdosing. However caffeine is utilized in many substances; and too much at once is deadly.

According to the Mayo Clinic, " the recommended amount of caffeine is up to 400 milligrams per day for healthy adults."

Severe signs of caffeine overdose include: irregular heartbeat; seizures; vomiting; rapid breathing, and shock.


Salt

Salt is necessary for your bodily functions. However excess salt could result in your cells been severely dehydrated (a process called hypernatremia); and could result to coma, seizures, and even death. This also includes consuming so much soy sauce at a go.


Chocolate

Chocolate is packed with theobromine (an alkaloid chemical found in the cocoa plant). Too much consumption of chocolate could also be dangerous to your health. It could cause loss of appetite; increased pounding headache; decline in blood pressure; sweating; increased heart rate; and trembling.

One would have to finish a great amount of full- length chocolate bars for it to cause such negative overdose effects on their health.


Alcohol poisoning

Alcohol poisoning is very real. Usually, a person would have to consume a lot of shots to reach the point of overdose. Though every individual is different.

Symptoms of alcohol overdose include slow heart rate; mental confusion; seizure; difficulty remaining conscious; trouble breathing; dulled responses; vomiting; clammy skin; and very low body temperature. According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, "Alcohol overdose can lead to permanent brain damage or death."

For the sake of your health and your life consume alcohol in moderation.


Water

Water is most vital for your survival; and staying hydrated. However if water is taken in large quantities all at once it could be dangerous to one's health. There are many cases of water poisoning that occurs because the kidneys are unable to process water rapidly enough.


Acetaminophen

Acetaminophen is the active ingredient in some analgesics; plus in some cold and flu meds. This particular one causes hundreds of deaths per year due to overdose. Acetaminophen administered at it's rightful dosage is very much safe. But when consumed recklessly it can cause liver damage. Always ensure not to combine acetaminophen- containing drugs at same time. Don't self- medicate; always consult with your pharmacist before using any drugs.


Tea

Tea contains both oxalate and caffeine. If you drink so much tea (to the point of overdose) it is most likely you're overdosed on oxalate. The negative effect of consuming so much in a day is that it can land you in the hospital on dialysis (because of the damage on your kidneys).

Content created and supplied by: NewsStreak (via Opera News )

Mayo Clinic

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments