HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE URINARY TRACT INFECTION (UTI)?
1. A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of your urinary system — your kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra.
2. Most infections involve the lower urinary tract — the bladder and the urethra. Women are at greater risk of developing a UTI than are men.
3. A UTI develops when microbes enter the urinary tract and cause infection.
4. Bacteria are the most common cause of UTIs, although fungi rarely can also infect the urinary tract.
5. E. coli bacteria, which live in the bowel, cause most UTIs.
6. Having too much sugar in your diet can lead to a spike in blood sugar, which in turn may cause the kidneys to process sugar into the urine.
7. Bacteria may then use the sugar as a food source to thrive in the urinary tract.
8. This is also why people with diabetes with poorly controlled blood sugar levels have a predisposition for UTIs.
9. Without fluids, bacteria are left to grow uninhibited in the urinary tract. Staying hydrated and urinating more often flushes out these bacteria before they are able to take hold and grow.
10. To avoid dehydration you should drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.
11. The longer urine stays in the bladder, the more prolonged bacteria have to grow in the urinary tract. This can lead to UTI.
12. Pregnant women have an increased likelihood for UTIs because their hormonal changes cause the bladder muscle to relax, which delays urination.
13. Additionally, pregnant women have a decreased ability to fight off infections in general, which leaves them more susceptible to UTIs.
14. Urinary tract infections don't always cause signs and symptoms, but when they do they may include:
👉 A strong, persistent urge to urinate.
👉 A burning sensation when urinating.
👉 Passing frequent, small amounts of urine.
👉 Urine that appears cloudy.
👉 Urine that appears red, bright pink or cola-colored — a sign of blood in the urine.
15. Antibiotics are an effective t
Content created and supplied by: DoctorBarnMedia (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More