Liver function tests are important tests used to evaluate the health and functioning of the liver. They measure the levels of certain proteins and enzymes which can be indicative of liver injury, inflammation, or even cancer. When signs and symptoms associated with liver damage begin to appear, it is important to get a liver function test to pinpoint the cause and treatment. According to webmd, Here are five signs in your body that might necessitate a visit to the doctor's office to get a liver function test.
1. Yellow Discoloration of the Skin: Yellowing of the skin is known as jaundice and occurs when the liver is not functioning properly. This occurs due to the buildup of bilirubin, a waste product of the liver that is normally removed from the body in the form of urine and stool. If your skin develops a yellowish tint, it could be an indication of an underlying issue that needs to be evaluated with a liver function test.
2. Abdominal Pain: Pain in the abdomen can be a sign of liver inflammation or damage. This can be caused by conditions such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, and biliary obstruction, all of which would be indicated by abnormal liver function tests.
3. Unexplained Weight Loss: Unexplained weight loss can be a sign of a liver problem. Liver disease can affect the body's ability to process nutrients, resulting in weight loss. A liver function test is one of the tests used to detect liver disease.
4. Dark Urine: Dark urine can be a sign of too much bilirubin in the body, which is a common symptom of liver disease. If your urine is darker than normal, a visit to the doctor and a liver function test may be necessary.
5. Nausea and Vomiting: When the liver is not functioning correctly, toxins can build up in the body, leading to nausea and vomiting sensations. A liver function test can help determine if the liver is malfunctioning, and if so, what the treatment options are.
If you begin to notice any of these signs, it is important to seek medical attention to have a liver function test performed. A liver function test can provide important information about the health of the liver, and may be your best chance of detecting a liver problem in its early stages. If the liver function test indicates a problem, your doctor can provide treatment and lifestyle recommendations to help promote healthy liver functioning.
It is important to remember to always speak to your doctor before making any changes to your diet or lifestyle. They will be able to provide personalised advice about your own health which is tailored to your individual needs.
Content created and supplied by: LoudestSilence86 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More