Consuming lemon grass during pregnancy may have harmful effects but its effects have not been empirically studied on humans. The advice to avoid lemongrass in high doses is based on logical conjectures and also on studies conducted on rats.
Effects on the Foetus
1. Lemon grass extracts can fasten cell death and hamper cell multiplication causing poor growth.
2. Lemon grass can cause skeletal abnormalities.
3. It could result in stillbirth.
Effects on the Mother
1. Lemon grass has long been used in herbal medicine to bring on menstruation. In large quantities, it could induce the rupture of the foetal membrane, causing a miscarriage.
2. Lemon grass affects blood sugar regulation. If the woman has type 2 diabetes or gestational diabetes, and she takes too much lemon grass, it could lead to a sudden decrease in her blood sugar levels, which can cause tiredness, blurry vision and even dizziness.
3. Lemongrass could trigger mild allergic effects including swelling in the throat, rashes, and chest pain.
Health is wealth
SHARE This health Post to family and friends
your questions are welcomed and will be answered.
COMMENT below, through the box.
Content created and supplied by: Florashaw (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More