Five killed as speeding bus rams into truck in Ogun
FIVE persons lost their lives while about 14 sustained injuries on Wednesday in a road crash along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
Our correspondent gathered that the bus driver with Registration Number EPE575XA lost control of the wheels and rammed into the truck with the Registration Number APP397YA from the rear.
Both the Federal Road Safety Corps and the Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps confirmed the incident.
They, however, differed on the figures of the injured victims.
But the TRACE Spokesman, Babatunde Akinbiyi, said 21 persons were involved in the accident out of which 16 were injured, including a toddler, while five died.
According to FRSC sector commander, the speeding bus hit the truck from the rear while the articulated vehicle was making a turning at Kara.
He said, “The bus driver was on high speed, lost control and hit the trailer at the rear. The crash happened at a turning point; the trailer was making a turning and the bus hit the trailer at the rear.”
Umar disclosed that injured victims had been taken to the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital and Idera Hospital, both in Sagamu.
He added that corpses of the victims were taken to Fakoya Mortuary in Sagamu.
#EndSARS: Court stops case against, Davido, Burna boy, Falz, others
A High Court in the Federal Capital Territory has ordered a halt in proceedings and stay action in a criminal complaint against persons who supported the #EndSARS protests.
Justice Bello Kawu who gave the order also restrained the Nigeria Police from arresting or taking any action against the #EndSARS activists.
The complaint filed by one Kenechukwu Okeke led to a Magistrate, Omolola Akindele ordering the Commissioner of Police in the FCT to launch an investigation into those mentioned.
Okeke had alleged that the protest which was supported by those joined in the suit led to him losing properties and creating fear among Federal Capital Territory, Abuja residents.
Some of those joined in the suit include David Adeleke, better known as Davido, Damini Ogulu (Burna Boy), Folarin Falana (Falz), Senior Pastor, Daystar Christian Centre, Sam Adeyemi amongst others.
One of those also joined in the suit, Deji Adeyanju in an application before the FCT High Court asked for a judicial review of the substantive matter before the magistrate.
Justice Kawu’s judgement reads, “An order of this honourable court granting leave to the application to issue and serve on the defendant an application for judicial review against the proceedings/direct criminal complaint of Hon. Omolola Tolulope Akindele sitting at Chief Magistrate Court II, Wuse Zone 6 in the suit of Kenechukwu Okeke Vs Deji Adeyanju and 49 others in suit No. CR/49/2020.
“An order of this honourable court, that on the grant of the above orders herein, serve as stay of all proceedings on the direct criminal complaint Omolola Tolulope Akindele sitting at Chief Magistrate Court II, Wuse Zone 6 in the suit of Kenechukwu Okeke Vs Deji Adeyanju and 49 others in suit no. CR/49/2020.
“An order of this honourable court, that on the grant of the above orders herein, same order as granted by the honourable court shall restrain the Nigeria Police Force, 2nd and 3rd defendants from taking any further steps, arresting and or taking any unconstitutional/illegal steps in the form of any guise as it concerns the subject matters whatsoever before this court herein as it concerns all parties in the proceedings.”
Africa Union secures 300m COVID-19 vaccine doses
The African Union has secured close to 300 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines for distribution to its member nations.
The Senior Science Adviser for the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, Africa CDC, Dr Nicaise Ndembi, who confirmed this on Wednesday, said the 300 million doses are being secured independently of the global COVAX effort aimed at distributing COVID-19 vaccines to lower-income countries.
“We have reached the final stage of our deals. We plan to have these by the end of the first quarter of 2021. We are expecting 600 million doses from the COVAX facility, but African officials are still waiting on the details, so we’re happy we have alternative solutions.”
Ndembi said the doses will be allocated on the continental platform the AU set up in 2020 to make it easier for the 54 African countries to pool their purchasing power for bulk purchase.
He confirmed that African officials have approached at least 10 vaccine manufacturers and developers as the continent seeks to vaccinate 780 million people which is 60 percent of its population of 1.3 billion.
Africa requires 1.5 billion doses for the vaccination exercise at an estimated cost of $10 billion.
Many African countries are seeing sharp increases in COVID-19 cases even as there are concerns about a new variant of the coronavirus in South Africa.
Trump impeachment: Biden urges Senate to focus on priorities
President-elect Joe Biden urged the Senate Wednesday to address the priorities of his agenda even as it deals with the second impeachment of Donald Trump.
In his first comments on the impeachment, Biden said the US is saddled with the coronavirus pandemic and an ailing economy, and he needs the Senate to approve his cabinet choices swiftly so the new administration can get to work after he takes office January 20. A Senate trial of Trump would begin only after this date.
“I hope that the Senate leadership will find a way to deal with their Constitutional responsibilities on impeachment while also working on the other urgent business of this nation,” Biden said in a statement.
Osun warns public against toxic ‘ponmo’ preserved with formalin
The Osun State Government has warned residents to be careful when purchasing cow hide, known popularly as ponmo.
The government said most of the ponmo currently being sold in the state contains dangerous chemicals that could harm human beings.
The Osun State Commissioner for Agriculture and Food Security, Adedayo Adewole, gave the warning in a statement made available by the ministry’s Information Officer, Segilola Babalola, during a stakeholders’ meeting with Ponmo Dealers’ Association organised by the Department of Veterinary Services, Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security in Osogbo.
The commissioner appealed to the association to join forces with the government to prevent the importation of toxic cow hide into the state, especially those preserved with formalin.
Formalin is a 37 percent aqueous (water) solution of formaldehyde, a pungent gas that is used as an antiseptic, disinfectant, etc.
Adewole noted that there are cow skin hide being sold in some markets that are of questionable sources and obviously unfit for human consumption.
“Some of them became spoilt during processing and are not meant to be consumed, yet some unscrupulous elements smuggled them into some markets in the state.
“We believe there are some intruders into the business that are fond of importing these bad ponmo, and they have to be stopped”, he said.
The Director of Veterinary Services, Dr. Abosede Olatokun, assured that the state government would carefully monitor the activities of cow hide dealers in the state through the Ponmo Dealers’ Association, noting that it would no longer deal with individuals.
She implored members of the association to collaborate with the government in order to keep the state safe from harmful cow hide.
Based on reports, several states, especially Lagos have had a running battle with dealers of poisonous ponmo.
In 2019, three persons connected with the sale of toxic cow skin were arrested in the Ojo and Iba areas of the state and charged to court after large quantities of the poisonous hide were confiscated from them.
Based on findings, the dealers usually converged for the illicit business in the early hours, between 4am and 6am, to sell to retailers.
Before now, health officers in Sapele, Delta State, apprehended some ponmo sellers for injecting chemicals used in the embalmment of corpses into the cowhide to make them look attractive to buyers.
The traders, who admitted to the illicit act, said they usually soak the cow skin in water to achieve the bloated, fleshy appearance after injecting the substance into the hides
Although the particular type of embalming fluid used was not disclosed, toxicologists warned that ingesting any substance used for embalming corpses, especially the most common among them, formaline, has grave consequences.
According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, formalin can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, even at low levels for short periods.
It noted that longer exposure or higher doses can cause coughing or choking, and that severe exposure can cause death from throat swelling or from chemical burns to the lungs.
Kaduna launches nutrition corners as malnutrition kills 124 children in 9 months
The Kaduna State Government says it has established 300 nutrition corners in health facilities across 23 local government areas, as part of strategies to fight malnutrition.
This was disclosed by the Project Manager, Kaduna State Emergency Nutrition Action Plan, Mr. Umar Bambale, while speaking with journalists on Wednesday in Kaduna.
Earlier last November, the State Nutrition Officer, Mrs. Ramatu Musa, said no fewer than 124 children had died of malnutrition in Kaduna State between January and September, with 15,329 cured of the diseases within the same period.
Mrs. Musa noted that a total of 21,265 malnourished children under five years were admitted in various Community Management of Acute Malnutrition in the state.
“Out of the figure, 124 children died of the diseases, 15,329 cured, 324 did not recover, 2,188 defaulted on treatment and 199 with complications referred to stabilisation centres across the state and 3,101 are undergoing treatment.
“Currently, CMAM is being implemented in 77 health facilities in 15 Local Government Areas of the state, while Infant and Young Child Feeding is being implemented in 13 LGAs.
“We have also trained 796 community volunteers, 45 in each LGA except Igabi with 63 and Kajuru 238 mobilising community members for optimal IYCF practices,” she said.
Project Manager Bambale explained that the nutrition corners were being used to teach women and caregivers how to prepare nutritious meals using available food items.
He said that the project was actualised following the monthly release of N1 million by each local government area through the Ministry for Local Government Affairs for implementation of nutrition programmes in the LGAs.
He said, “Our target is to ensure that all our health facilities have a food demonstration corner to educate mothers on ways to prepare nutritious meals for children under five years using available food.
“We had less than 100 nutrition corners in health facilities before the monthly release of the N1m by the LGAs which started in July 2020.
“But with the consistent release of the funds, we have been able to establish additional nutrition corners and procure the needed equipment, consumables and drugs in more than 300 health centres.”
Bambale commended the LGAs for the monthly release of the funds, adding that a utilisation template has been designed by the agency to track and ensure judicious use of the funds.
He explained that part of the money is being used to fund similar programmes like the Community Management of Acute Malnutrition, Community Infant and Young Child Feeding and Food and Nutrition programming and monitoring.
The project manager said the Local Government Food and Nutrition Committees meet every month to review activities, progress, and challenges in the implementation of nutrition interventions and to find ways to address them.
He noted that wives of the local government chairmen are also supervising nutrition activities in their respective areas and encouraged women to visit health centres to access nutrition services.
Bambale disclosed that the demand for nutrition services had increased over the years due to the massive awareness and sensitisation campaigns to nutrition by community volunteers.
Recall that in November 2020, the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, State Primary Health Care Board, Mr. Jibril Isah, disclosed that the government was considering the establishment of a nutrition agency to coordinate all nutrition activities in the state.
Isah said Governor Nasir El-Rufa’i had presented a memo to the Executive Council to that effect and that it was before the Planning and Budget Commission and Ministry of Health for advice.
He said that the move was to ensure effective coordination of nutrition interventions by the ministries, department and agencies, development partners and relevant stakeholders.
According to him, the state has recruited 76 nutritionists to provide technical nutrition services at healthcare centres in the state.
Isah said that the 76 nutritionists were part of the over 1,300 health workers recently recruited under the ongoing exercise for over 3.000 health workers in the state.
“The recruitment is being done in phases as part of efforts to improve the quality of health and nutrition services delivery in health centres.
“The nutritionists have been deployed to health facilities across the state,” he said.
Please share and follow.
Content created and supplied by: AkwaOnline (via Opera News )