Asthma is a medical condition in which the airways in the body i.e Mouth, Nostrils and lungs become swollen and narrow, thereby triggering coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath.
It is a very common ailment in Nigeria, with about 1.5million cases yearly. It is a chronic illness that can last for about 6years or lifelong.
Recognition: Asthma is easily recognizable through the following signs
* Difficulty in breathing
* Difficulty in speaking
* Grey - blue skin
* Dry, tickly cough
What To Do : When dealing with someone who is having an asthma attack, do the following:
1. MAKE THE PATIENT COMFORTABLE: This is done by calmly and gently asking the patient to stay calm. Reassure the sufferer that everything will be fine.
Place the patient in a sitting position, make sure the patient is comfortable in that position. Sitting slightly forward, with the back bent forward a little, is usually the best.
Tell the patient to try taking slow and deep breaths, periodically.
2. USE AN INHALER: You should help the patient to locate his/her reliver inhaler (It is mostly blue in colour)
Let the patient use the inhaler. It should be effective within minutes.
3. ENCOURAGE THE PATIENT TO BREATHE SLOWLY: if the attack stops in 5 -10 minutes, encourage the patient to take another dose of his/her inhaler, and to breathe slowly and deeply
If it is a first attack, inform a doctor.
Warning: The following should be avoided while attending to a patient
* Do not lay the casualty/patient down
* Do not use a preventer inhaler
* If the patient falls unconscious, be prepared to resuscitate if necessary ( I'll write on this in my next article)
* If the inhaler has no effect after 5-10 minutes, call a doctor or an ambulance
* Ask the patient to use his/her inhaler every 5 - 10 minutes
Expect further first aid articles from me.
Thanks for reading
Content created and supplied by: Stella's (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More