Here are 20 facts about stress that have been proven by science to be true.
1. Stress is linked to the six leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, lung ailments, accidents, liver cirrhosis, and suicide.
2. In recent studies, the top most stressful jobs are a surgeon, commercial airline pilot, photojournalist, advertising account executive, and real estate agent. The least stressful jobs were actuary, dietitian, astronomer, systems analyst, and software engineer.
3. Laughing lowers stress hormones (like cortisol, epinephrine, and adrenaline) and strengthens the immune system by releasing healthy enhancing hormones.
4. The stress of caring for a disabled spouse increases the risk of stroke substantially.
5. Chronic stress can impair the developmental growth in children by lowering the production of growth hormone from the pituitary gland.
6. A CNN poll reveals that the number one reason for stress in most countries is money. The countries most stressed about money are Malaysia, China, Singapore, and the United States. The countries least stressed about money are Russia, France, and Italy.
7. Stress causes capillaries to close, which restricts bleeding if a flesh wound should occur.
8. Scientists suggest that stress is part of the evolutionary drive because it has enabled humans to survive. Specifically, it temporarily increases awareness and improves physical performance.
9. Stress can alter blood sugar levels, which can cause mood swings, fatigue, hyperglycemia, and metabolic syndrome, a major risk factor for heart attack and diabetes.
10. Stress can result in more headaches as a result of the body rerouting blood flow to other parts of the body.
Content created and supplied by: Update_writer (via Opera News )