Millions of people including men, women, children and babies throughout the world suffer from bad breath. Bad breath is responsible for the embarrassment and destroys relationships with family and friends. It may flatten your confidence and self esteem and may even cause severe depression.
Bad breath is associated with teeth problems in adults, children and kids. Plaque on the tongue can cause bad breath where bacteria can grow.
Bad Breath Causes
The cause of bad breath is due to anaerobic bacteria that live within the surface of the tongue and throat, that produce smelly sulfur compounds when they come in contact with proteins which cause bad breath. You may have chronic bad breath. Bad breath may be due to a number of reasons:
1.Bad dental hygiene
2. Gum disease
4.Plaque on the tongue can cause bad breath where bacteria can grow.
5. If you do not clean your mouth after consuming alcoholic drinks, tobacco chewing, cigarette smoking, and foods like onions, garlic, etc., it can contribute to bad breadth.
7. Bacteria in mouth
8. Heavy metal accumulation
9. Some disease like diabetes, gingivitis, esophageal cancer, lung abscess, liver disease, etc.
10. Excessive use of alcohol based mouthwash (homemade mouthwash) like Listerine. If you use such a mouth wash before sleeping, then your mouth will remian dry for tghe whole night, which can cause bad breath.
13. A deficiency of vitamin B and/or zinc may be the cause of your bad breath.
14. Drugs (Paraldehyde, inhaled anesthetics, insulin injection, etc.)
15. Low Carb Food Diet
If you are on a low-carb diet, you can have bad breath due to release of a chemical called ketone from your stomach. If bad breath is caused due to a low-carb diet, no amount of cleaning on your part will get rid of it, because this kind of bad breath is not an oral hygiene problem, so the mouthwashes, brushing, flossing, and scraping of the tongue is not enough to overcome this. The only thing you can do is to modify your diet.
Try the following home remedies and solutions for bad breath.
1. Treat existing oral diseases like bleeding gum and candida infection.
2. Brush your teeth in the morning, in the evening, and after every meal, specially after consuming milk products, fish and meat.
3. Brush your tongue along with your teeth regularly.
4. Wash the tongue with baking soda dissolved in warm water to reduce the acidity in your mouth making a less-friendly environment for the bacteria to grow that cause bad breath.
5. Brushing and flossing teeth regularly can rid off bad breath.
6. Clean and replace your toothbrush regularly.
7. Avoid mouthwashes with dyes and alcohol. Mouthwash containing cetylpyridinium chloride, chlorine dioxide, sodium chlorite or zinc may serve as an antibacterial agent, that can control the number of anaerobic bacteria in mouth keeping your breath fresh and curing bad breath.
8. Increase salivation by chewing sugarless gum. Saliva has antibacterial properties.
9. Parsley, coriander, basil, rosemary, thyme, wintergreen, cardamom seeds, cinnamon bark, clove, fennel or anise seeds are great breath fresheners. Slowly chew any of these herbs and allow the saliva to build up in your mouth.
10. Research suggests that eating plain yogurt for 6 weeks can sweeten your breath because it reduces levels of offensive compounds produced by bacteria in the mouth by 80%.
11. Rinse your mouth before sleeping with a glass of water with the juice of half a lemon added to cure bad breath.
12. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to maintain proper hydration. It helps dilute the concentration of ketones.
13. Talk to your periodontist about gum and teeth problems that might be the cause of bad breath.
14. If you keep teeth, tongue, and mouth clean, you will not suffer from the problem of bad breath. You should take all care in cleaning your teeth by using proper tooth brush and adopting correct brushing technique. Follow the good oral hygiene rules. Please read all the information given in the related topics given above.
Bad Breath Worst Home Remedies
The American Academy of Periodontology has identified following most ineffective home remedies for bad breath. These remedies can be only temporary fixes of the problem, they do not remove the root cause of the problem. You should not try these remedies.
1. Excessive use of alcohol based mouthwash like Listerine.
2. Chewing gum and chewing tobacco.
3. Vodka martinis or sour mash whiskey: These will dry your mouth.
4. Brushing with household cleanser: They contain poisonous chemicals.
5. Rinsing with kerosene.
6. Tongue piercing: Increases chances of more bacteria on tongue.
7. Intestinal cleansing methods: It does not help as the bad breath does not originate from the stomach.
Content created and supplied by: Jeffreyholy (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More