Bitter kola is very popular amongst the Igbos. Most Igbo festivities will not be complete without the presentation of kola, and bitter kola is part of kola. Bitter kola is consumed by many people for various reasons.
Image: The Guardian Nigeria
However, aside from the cultural relevance of bitter kola, scientific studies have shown that, bitter kola also has several properties and compounds that makes it valuable to the health.
Many people do not like eating bitter Kola because of it's, bitter taste without knowing that, the health benefits they can derive from bitter kola supersedes it's bitter taste.
Image: Istock Photos
Here Are Five Health Benefits Of Eating Bitter Kola You Probably Never Knew About
1. It Helps In The Treatment Of Malaria: malaria is one of the common sicknesses that plagues people in Nigeria. Malaria is responsible for so many deaths especially, among children.
However, it is believed that, the kolaviron that bitter kola contains has antimalarial properties which can help to prevent and treat malaria.
2. It Improves The Condition Of People With Osteoarthritis: arthritis is a degenarative inflammatory disease that, usually attacks the joints. There are different types of arthritis one of which is, osteoarthritis.
Bitter kola contains properties like, potassium which helps to to reduce Inflammation thereby, improving the condition of people who have knee osteoarthritis.
3. It Helps To Prevent Certain Diseases: bitter kola contains several beneficial properties and qualities. One of the qualities of bitter kola is it's antibacterial qualities. Studies such as the one published in the
Science Journal of Microbiology shows that, bitter kola has antibacterial compounds like, tanine and saponins which could prevent the growth of certain infections like, staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus pyogenes.
Image: India Tv News
4. It Good For Type 2 Diabetes: bitter kola is good for people who have type 2 diabetes. Bitter kola contains a chemical compound called kolaviron.
According to WebMD, kolaviron may protect against hypoglycemia in people with type 2 diabetes.
5. It Serves As An Aphrodisiac: an aphrodisiac is any substance that awakens sexual desire. Bitter kola is an aphrodisiac agent which helps to boost sexual performance, and increase pleasure during intimacy.
Bitter Kola is particularly good for men because, it make them potent, it also improves their performance.
Image: the distin
Like, Share, Comment, And Follow.
Content created and supplied by: Shinysatellitepotiskum (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More