The word kidney probably isn't new to you, everyone who has come of age has probably heard or seen a kidney. In school's also you must have been shown the picture and also talked about it.
The kidney is an important organ of the body every human from birth is suppose to have two pairs of kidneys, it's a bean-shaped organ located on either side of your spine, below the ribs and behind the belly. Each of the kidney is about 4 to 5 inches long.
The kidney helps in filtering blood, removing waste from the body, balancing the electrolyte level in the body, the kidney controls blood pressure level in the body and also simulate the production of red blood cells. Blood are supplied to the kidney through the renal arteries directly from the aorta and send back the filtered blood to the heart through the renal veins to the vena cava.
Causes of kidney failure
The kidney can be at risk if not properly taking care of and in most cases the result are irreversible. Kidney failure comes with some signs and symptoms kindly follow for more article on symptoms of kidney failure.
Kidney failure may occur as a result of chronic diseases causing the kidney to stop functioning as suppose or an acute situation that injures the kidneys.
Causes of kidney failure based on where the injury has occurred
Pre-renal cause of kidney failure
This is as a result of insufficient blood supply to the kidney for example having a low blood volume and also dehydration, inadequate body fluid's, vomiting, diarrhea all this could lead to loss of body fluid's.
Some medication's can cause harm to the kidney causing it to stop it's function's as usual. Example of such drugs are
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as Ibuprofen and naproxen
Antibiotics like Aminoglycosides gentamicin tobramycin etc.
3. Rhabdomyolysis This is as a result of significant muscle breakdown in the body and the damage body fibers clog the filtering system of the kidney. Some medication's used in the treatment of high cholesterol could lead to rhabdomyolysis.
4. Multiple Myeloma. This is as a result of Acute glomerulonephritis or inflammation of the glomeruli which is the kidney filtering system, some diseases could lead to it. such as
Goodpasture syndrome etc.
5. Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. This is as a result of abnormal destruction of red blood cells
Post-renal causes of kidney failure
1. Kidney stone. Kidney stones form when your urine contains more crystal forming substances, such as calcium, oxalate and uric acid than the fluid in your urine can dilute. Normally kidney stone affects only one kidney and do not cause kidney failure but if there is only one kidney present it could lead to kidney failure.
2. Obstruction of bladder or the ureters causing back pressure because the kidney continue to produce urine. When the pressure increases high enough, the kidneys are damaged and shut down.
3. Prostate Cancer. This condition could block the urethra and prevents the bladder from emptying which could lead to kidney failure.
4. Tumors in the bladder that obstructs the ureters.
Hope this article was helpful, the next article will be on causes of chronic kidney failure, kindly follow, like, comment and share to save lives Thanks for reading.
Content created and supplied by: Billionsvolt (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More