Dates, also known as 'dabinu' are a popular sweet and tasty fruit in Nigeria. It can be eaten fresh or dried. The dried ones are more popular in Nìgeria and popularly sold by Hausa men living in different states all over the country.
It is also used in baking pastries such as the popularly known date bars. It is made into syrup and is fast replacing sugar syrups.
Dates contain the following nutrients
- Sugars such as sucrose, fructose, etc.
- phosphorus and potassium
- magnesium and manganese
- Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5 and C
How are Dates beneficial to the Body?
Dates are good when added in minute quantities to the diet in the following ways:
- Dates may help in weight loss due to its negligible cholesterol content and satisfying nature as a quick snack. Although due to its sugar and protein content, if eaten regularly in large quantities, it can help in weight gain and maintenance of weight. So, small quantities of dates are okay.
- It is a natural source of vitamins and minerals that help normal functioning of the body.
- It is a great source of energy and protein. This can help muscle builders in their muscle building journey. However, you should go easy on dates if you have diabetes.
- It can help in protecting the bones and makes them stronger, thus preventing osteoporosis. This is attributed to the presence of manganese, magnesium, calcium, selenium and other minerals and vitamins.
- It is a great food for nice and supple skin. It has potential anti-aging properties.
- It might help in preventing iron deficiency anaemia due to its rich iron content.
- Due to its fibre content, it may help to promote digestion.
Dates are useful fruits that have great benefits such as those listed above. However, only eat them in moderation in order to appreciate its tremendous value.
Till next time, stay healthy and safe.
Content created and supplied by: Saddle (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More