To nurture a child means to care for and protect a child while growing. Mental health is the emotional, psychological and social well-being of an individual, according to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
The environment you provide for your child each day holds many opportunities for nurturing good mental health both now and into adulthood.
Here are some of the ways to nurture a child's mental health:
1. Help the child to build a strong, caring relationships.
2. Help the child to develop self-esteem so that he can feel good about himself.
3. Actively listen before giving advice. This can be done by giving full attention to your child, get down to your child's level, make eye contact and stop other things you are doing, and reflect or repeat back what he is saying or what he may be saying or what he may be feeling to make sure you understand.
4. Surround them with healthy adults so that they can learn good things.
5. Respond calmly when their emotions are elevated.
6. See their behaviour as a window to their needs and feelings.
7. Have scheduled family time.
8. Monitor electronic devices and content. This helps to avoid watching immoral videos and other unhealthy articles.
9. Have more time with them.
10. Engage in random act of giving.
11. Be consistent and follow through with what you say or promise.
12. Use encouragement over negativity.
Content created and supplied by: Ekeneobiageliokoye (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More