Vernonia Amygdalina commonly known as Bitter Leaf is a popular plant/vegetable in Nigeria used in preparing the nutritious bitter leaf soup and making some medicinal juice.
In Nigeria the Igbos call it “Olugbo”, the Yorubas call it “Ewuro” and the Hausas call it “Shiwaka”. It is generally called bitter leaf in English because the vegetable is very bitter.B So before it can be used to cook soup, it’s usually squeezed or dried to reduce the bitterness.
So let see the 11 health benefits
1. It speeds up metabolism and therefore is great for weight loss.
2. Bitter leaf juice relieves fever and feverish conditions. Take the squeezed juice, 3 times daily until the symptoms disappear.
3. It also helps to reduce high sugar level in the blood, and great for diabetic patients.
4. Squeeze the fresh leaves on your palm and apply the juice on skin rashes,eczema, ring worms and any superficial skin ailments, you’ll notice a change in few days. Don’t apply to open wounds.
5. Bitter leaf is said to soothe and also cure pile.
6. Taking a cup of bitter leaf juice a day, is a great way to detoxify the body of harmful toxins.
7. Bitter leaf juice nourishes the skin.
8. Bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina) also cures mild stomach ailments
9. Bitter leaf juice is said to increase breast milk production in nursing mothers.
10. The washed roots and stalks of bitter leaf are boiled and the infusion is taken as a worm expeller. A cup of bitter leaf infusion taking first thing in the morning before meals
11. Bitter leaf juice is used by local women in Guinea-Bissau to contract the uterus after childbirth and therefore should not be taking during pregnancy or if you’re trying to conceive, because high intake might cause miscarriage.
Content created and supplied by: Temermer (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More