Are you putting yourself at risk with these items in your house?
1. Household plants
Be sure to keep your pets and children from biting off a piece by placing these plants in spots your children and pets cannot reach.
2. 𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐓 / 𝐃𝐑𝐘𝐄𝐑𝐒
𝕋ℍ𝔼 𝐔.𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐃𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 claims failing to remove lint from the dryer causes 2,900 dryer fires annually resulting in 100 injuries and five death per year! Be sure you stay on top of this small chore.
3. Gas Range
According to the 𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐋 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 (𝐂𝐃𝐂), carbon monoxide is the leading cause of poisoning death. One place it comes from within your home is a gas range, so install and use and exhaust vent when ever you use the range.
Knives are a weapon, even the beloved set you hold near and dear is your home for cooking purposes. "Knives represent an important source of morbidity and mortality to people of all ages",
Note: research published in the 𝐉𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐀𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐘 𝐌𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐈𝐍𝐄.
The reality is, they're sharp, and one misstep can cause severing of a nerve that can ultimately lead to some very bloody consequences knowing how to use different knives properly is essential.
5. Extension cords
Along with being a major tripping hazard, extension cords cause over 3,000 residential fires each year, which results in an estimated 50 annual deaths according to the CDC. Put extension cords away when they're no longer needed and limit their use around children and the elderly. Never use an extension cord that is cracked or frayed.
Toothpaste goes in your mouth everyday, sometimes several times a day, so what could the danger be? Right on the label you'll find a warning: "seeking immediate medical help if you ingest toothpaste." Consuming too much can cause intestinal blockage!
𝐌𝐄𝐃𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐏𝐋𝐔𝐒 notes that if it has flouride in it, it can even cause a heart attack.
7. Electric blankets
It's been noted that electric blankets and heated bed pads can cause reproblems and cancer ♋, while the N̳A̳T̳I̳O̳N̳A̳L̳ C̳E̳N̳T̳E̳R̳ F̳O̳R̳ B̳I̳O̳T̳E̳C̳H̳N̳O̳L̳O̳G̳Y̳ I̳N̳F̳O̳R̳M̳A̳T̳I̳O̳N̳ revealed that two people died from heat stroke as a result of an electric blanket.
8. Air Conditioner
An AC unit can be a major blessing on a hot summer day, but if it's leaking, you're in trouble!
According to Health line, a leaking AC unit can cause refrigerant poisoning, which can lead to heart palpitations, seizures and cut off oxygen to your lungs and cells which can ultimately result in death.
9. Indoors Swimming Pool
The idea of an indoor swimming pool just seems swanky. But the option to indulge in a peaceful swim in the comfort of your own home comes second to the dangers associated with it. According to research, swimming indoor pools can expose you to chemicals that may increase the risk for cancer ♋ and respiratory ailments, such as ashma.
10. Flat Screen TV
It's great for watching sporting events or hosting movie nights, but unfortunately it's also a silent killer! According to a study published in the Journal pediatrics, more than 17,000 kids were taken to the E.R. each year between 1990 and 2011 with television tip over related injuries.
Magnets aren't something that usually comes to mind when you think about dangers in the house, but small magnets that can be ingested can stick together and trap and compress portions of bowel wall between them. According to the A̳M̳E̳R̳I̳C̳A̳N̳ A̳C̳A̳D̳E̳M̳Y̳ O̳F̳ P̳E̳D̳I̳A̳T̳R̳I̳C̳S̳, this can potentially lead to perforation, ischemia, sepsis and bowel obstructions in children.
12. Your Range Hood
A̳C̳C̳O̳R̳D̳I̳N̳G̳ T̳O̳ B̳R̳E̳T̳T̳ S̳I̳N̳G̳E̳R̳, P̳h̳.D̳
"Literally, millions to many millions of people are routinely being exposed to air pollutants are levels that we don't allow out doors", He told the Journal Environmental health perspectives, "T̳H̳E̳ E̳N̳V̳I̳R̳O̳N̳M̳E̳N̳T̳A̳L̳ P̳R̳O̳T̳E̳C̳T̳I̳O̳N̳ A̳G̳E̳N̳C̳Y̳ (E̳P̳A̳) would say we don't have a carbon monoxide or nitrogen dioxide problems in this country. We absolutely do have that problem. It's just happening indoors". The key is to design stove range hoods that are far more effective.
Mothballs are the old-school way to keep seasonal clothes and linens from being damaged while in storage, but some mothballs contain Naphthalene, which is categorized as a possible human carcinogen by the EPA.
14. Lead paint
The chances of your home having lead paint are very high if your home was built before 1978. If old paint is chipping or cracking the toxicity can be inhaled or ingested especially during renovations.
A̳C̳C̳O̳R̳D̳I̳N̳G̳ T̳O̳ T̳H̳E̳ M̳A̳Y̳O̳ C̳L̳I̳N̳I̳C̳, lead exposure can result in developmental delays, abdominal pain, neurological changes and irritability. At very high levels, it can be fatal.
Invisible mold spores are everywhere, although they need moisture to turn into the real deal. When ful - fledged mold occurs, it can cause allergil reactions and asthma attacks. Some molds even produce toxic substances called Mycotoxins, which have been linked to nausea, immune system suppression, liver damage, central nervous system damage and cancer ♋.
16. Cleaning the bathroom
Cleaning the bathroom is an essential home maintenance task, but did you know mixing with bleach with other common household cleaners can potentially kill you? According to CDC, you should never mix bleach with ammonia or any other cleaner.
Acetaminophen, a pain reliever AKA Tylenol is found in other medications that cause about 500 deaths in the U.S. per year. When you're sick , you may not realize that mixing medications from your medicine cabinet (such as Tylenol and NyQuil) can lead to an over dose. Always read the label.
18. Oven cleaner
Oven cleaners may result in a squeaky clean oven, but they also pose a risk to your health, with the chemicals used in them capable of causing chemical burns on your skin. Using the self - clean mode after spraying your oven with oven cleaner can result in fumes that can cause respiratory distress or even death according to MEDLINE PLUS.
19. Furniture stain
Diyers love to refinish antique furniture, but if you're going to do it, make sure you do it outside!
Wood stain gives off dangerous fumes and is highly flammable.
2. Nail polish remover
Some nail polish removers contain Acetone,which is a toxic substance. That can e fatal when ingested and not treated, A̳C̳C̳O̳R̳D̳I̳N̳G̳ T̳O̳ T̳H̳E̳ N̳A̳T̳I̳O̳N̳A̳L̳ C̳A̳P̳I̳T̳A̳L̳ P̳O̳I̳S̳O̳N̳ C̳E̳N̳T̳E̳R̳, nail polish removers can cause severe chemical burns internally and externally, lead to internal bleeding, and cause respiratory distress as a result of the strong fumes.
Content created and supplied by: AmadiFrancis (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More