The Queen of England lives in a palace which is regarded as the London residence and administrative headquarters of the monarchy of the United Kingdom. Located in the city of Westminster, the palace is often at the centre of state occasions and royal hospitality.
Apart from being one of the most secured places on Earth, here are the fun facts you should know about the Queen’s house……
1. It was originally called Buckingham House
The building at the core of today’s palace was a large townhouse built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1703 on a site that had been in private ownership for at least 150 years. The house was named after the area it was situated BUCKINGHAM.
2. The house was acquired by King George III for Queen Charlotte
George William Frederick who was the king of Great Britain and King of Ireland from 25 October 1760 until the union of the two countries on 1 January 1801 acquired the house for his wife Queen Charlotte.
3. The house was later renamed after Queen Charlotte
The house got the name Queen’s House after it was acquired for Queen Charlotte who was the Queen of Great Britain and Ireland until her death in 1818.
4. The house was enlarged in the 19th century principally by architects John Nash and Edward Blore, who constructed three wings around a central courtyard.
5. Buckingham palace became the London residence of the British monarch on the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837.
6. A German bomb destroyed the palace chapel during World War II.
7. The palace has 775 rooms which includes 19 State rooms, 52 Royal and guest bedrooms, 188 staff bedrooms, 92 offices and 78 bathrooms.
8. The house has a garden which is the largest private garden in London where gin is made.
9. Just like you buy tickets to watch a football match, you need to buy a ticket to visit the Buckingham palace.
10. In measurements, the building is 108 metres long across the front, 120 metres deep (including the central quadrangle) and 24 metres high.
Feel free to share your thoughts and don't forget to follow me for more updates. THANKS FOR READING
Content created and supplied by: Victorraye (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More