Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Society

 

Safety accident

 

Environmental accident

6 Things You Can Do To Help Prevent Fire Outbreak At Home

Fire accidents at home can be caused by different factors ranging from cooking, home appliances, electricity, candles and even smoking. The effects of a fire outbreak can be devastating. Though sometimes circumstances beyond one’s control can lead to such accident, it is necessary to take preventive measures to reduce occurrence of such accident.

Here are some measures you can take to help reduce the risk of fire accidents at home.

Electric wiring and cables: If you are living in a home built over 20 years ago, you should contact a qualified electrician to check your home wiring system to ensure that the wiring system is not outdated. Some old wiring system may not have the capacity to handle modern energy consumption by appliances and electrical gadgets. Also, when installing electrical appliances such air conditioners and heaters, ensure that appropriate and quality cables are used. Do not ignore any burning smell, it can be a sign of a faulty cable or overloaded circuit.

Extension cord: Avoid plugging large appliances to extension cord. Large appliances should be plugged directly to socket and where not available it should be installed. Always turn off and unplug electrical appliances when not in use or when leaving the house.  

Light bulbs: when installing your bulbs, ensure that you do not install a high voltage bulb in lamps that is not appropriate for it. Install bulbs that are within the recommended wattage for lamps.

Kerosene lanterns and candles: Avoid the use of kerosene lanterns and candles at home. Candles are open flames and if left unattended to can cause serious damage. If you must use them, necessary precaution must be taken. They should be kept far from flammable items and out of the reach of children. They should be put off before leaving the room or going to bed. They can be replaced with rechargeable lamps and battery torch light.

Gas cooker and cylinders: Regularly check your gas hose and clip to ensure that there is no leak and replace them when they are worn out. When cooking, ensure that the kitchen is well ventilated. It is safer to keep your gas cylinder outside the kitchen where there is maximum exposure to open air.

Cooking: When cooking with oil and the oil becomes too hot and catches fire, do not use water as water will increase the fire, rather, remove the source of heat, cover the pot with a metal lid and pour baking soda if it is a small fire.

Finally, always keep a fire extinguisher handy and educate your household on how to use it for small fires. In the event of a fire outbreak, evacuate the place and call for professional help.

 

Content created and supplied by: LifeGinfo (via Opera News )

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments