Tension As Boko Haram Kills 20 Soldiers In Borno
About 20 soldiers have been killed and several others missing after an ambush by militants from the Islamic State-backed faction of Boko Haram, the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), formerly known as Jamā'at Ahl as-Sunnah lid-Da'wah wa'l-Jihād in the Marte area of Borno State.
Photo Credit: Sahara Reporters
The attack took place in Marte town on Friday, according to a military source who spoke to SaharaReporters.
According to him, the soldiers were on their way to Maiduguri, the state capital before the terrorists struck.
He also stated, “There was another ambush again on Friday. Ambush is the most difficult fight. We lost 20 soldiers. The ambush happened to Marte.”
Photo Credit: Google
Bandits Take Over Farms In Katsina, Force Villagers To Supply Fertilisers
Some farmers in Katsina State have decried the negative impact of banditry on farming activities in the state.
Photo Credit: Sahara Reporters
According to them, bandits have stopped them from going to their farms to cultivate food items.
In an interview with the Daily Trust, the farmers stated that bandits stormed their farms to either abduct, kill, or tax them before they could even cultivate on their farms.
They went on to say that every household in the Batsarin-Alhaji area had to pay the bandits N500 from the previous farming season.
Following that, the bandits demanded that the villagers provide them with fertilizer.
The villagers had to levy a tax on themselves in order to purchase the fertilizers.
A 65-year-old farmer, Sa’adu Nuhu Batsari, said he stopped tilling three of his farms of 20 hectares each for over two years due to insecurity, lamenting that the heightened banditry is driving both big and subsistence farmers out of farming.
Buhari defends border closure, says policy curbed smuggling
Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) has defended the Federal Government's decision to close the Nigerian-Benin Republic border in 2020, claiming that the move reduced smuggling and improved the economy.
Photo Credit: Punch Newspaper
This comes as he asserted that Nigeria is making progress in its efforts to improve security and deal with terrorist elements plaguing the country.
Buhari said this on Friday during a bilateral meeting with the Prime Minister of The Netherlands, Mark Rutte, at the sidelines of the 76th UN General Assembly in New York, USA.
Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, disclosed this in a statement titled ‘President Buhari to Netherlands PM: we are getting somewhere on security’.
The President said the country took the decision to shut the borders, “eat what we grow, and curb smuggling,” noting that if that had not been done, “we would have been in serious trouble. We are lucky to have taken the decision when we did, otherwise things would have been impossible with the advent of COVID-19.”
INEC explains why names of dead Nigerians still appear on voter register
Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has explained why names of dead Nigerians are still on the voter register.
Photo Credit: Daiypost
Yakubu claimed that INEC's inability to obtain adequate data on deaths in Nigeria has prevented it from removing the names of deceased Nigerians from its register.
He stated this when he met with Nasir Kwara, Chairman of the National Population Commission, at the commission's headquarters in Abuja on Friday.
Yakubu went on to say that the commission had been using technology to remove ineligible people and multiple registrants on a regular basis, but that technology cannot help INEC identify and remove dead people from its records.
Content created and supplied by: Kelvin50 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More