The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has responded to the allegations peddling around the arrest of some persons for allegedly sponsoring terrorism in the country.
The Minister was reported by some media that he had released the alleged Boko Haram sponsors. This is contained in a report published by the Punch.
Photo of Abubakar Malami
Image Credits || Punch
For months, there have been controversies surrounding the repentant terrorists and those sponsoring them. Recall that a few days ago, 15 companies and 36 persons were named Insurgency sponsors by the cabinet of the United Arab Emirate, UAE.
The country had earlier in 2020 sentenced 6 Nigerians to jail for sponsoring the dreadful group which accounts for the deaths of over released 50,000 Nigerians and displaced half the population of the North-East. The aftermath effects of the group are what is termed banditry today in the North-Western part of the county.
The exposure of the terror list further intensified the UAE's efforts in her resolve to fight terrorism and insurgency throughout the world.
In the same vein, in May this year, Federal Government said about 400 alleged Boko Haram sponsors were arrested in an operation coordinated by the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), the Department of State Services (DSS), Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU), and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
According to some reports, the suspects were nabbed in Kano, Borno, Abuja, Lagos, Sokoto, Adamawa, Kaduna, and Zamfara State. However, ever since the arrest was made, nothing was heard again. They were neither sued to court nor given updates on the case. This raised concerns among Nigerians.
Amidst speculation of whether Malami has released them or not, Femi Falana, in August had asked the attorney-general of the federation (AGF), to provide information on the charges brought against 400 persons arrested for allegedly sponsoring Boko Haram.
Photo of Femi Falana
Image Credits || Naija News
Meanwhile, the Minister has denied releasing any of the detained Boko Haram sponsors. He said the report of the alleged release of 300 suspects is a ” misrepresentation of facts relating to the ongoing investigation of terrorism financing suspects in Nigeria”.
He, has, therefore, cleared the air in his reaction to the allegations some media or individuals raised against him as regards the Boko Haram financiers under investigation.
1. No application was filled in court to procure the release
The Minister via his Special Assistant on Media and Public Relations, Umar Gwandu, challenged anyone or the writer of the alleged claim to show or expose any court which entertained an application for the release of the suspects.
He said, at least, if the report was true, his office would have filed an application, which of course, would be in the public domain for that effect. He also revealed that the fight against the menace of terrorism is an ongoing operation characterized by intelligence gathering, arrest, investigation, and prosecution.
Photo of soldiers in Borno State
Image Credits || The Cable
2. Malami denied bribe-taking
The Minister of Justice cleared the air on the accusation of taking bribery to release the suspect. He then asked the following questions to buttress his point: "Who facilitated the giving of bribe? Who accepted or collected the bribe on behalf of the Attorney General? Who were the vendors and facilitators?”
Malami who accompanied President Buhari to the 76th United Nations conference said FG may appeal the Ibadan court judgment or file fresh cases against the controversial Yoruba Nation activist, Sunday Igboho.
Recall that his legal team led by Yomi Aliyu, SAN had secured a conviction of 20bn against DSS and Malami for damages of his client's properties when the operatives of the secret service raided his residence on July 1.
Content created and supplied by: eFactor (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More