May 5 (Reuters) - Russia's Wagner threatens to leave the eastern city of Bakhmut, but Ukraine says the mercenaries are reinforcing positions from other parts of the front to try to seize it before Moscow marks World War Two Victory Day next week.
* Standing in a field of corpses, Russian Wagner Group boss Yevgeny Prigozhin published an expletive-ridden video personally blaming top defense chiefs for losses suffered by his fighters.
* He said his forces would withdraw from Bakhmut on May 10 - ending their involvement in the longest and bloodiest battle of the war - because of heavy losses and inadequate supplies.
* The pace of grain shipments from Ukraine under a U.N.-backed initiative has slowed as concerns grow over ships getting stuck if a deal is not renewed later this month, according to sources and data.
* Ukraine, Russia, Turkey, and the United Nations failed to authorize any new ships under the deal.
* A drone attack on the Ilsky oil refinery in southern Russia, the second in as many days, has caused a fire, TASS news agency reported.
Founder of Wagner private mercenary group Yevgeny Prigozhin makes a statement as he stands next to Wagner fighters in an undisclosed location in the course of the Russia-Ukraine conflict, in this still image taken from video released May 5, 2023. Press service of "Concord"/Handout via REUTERS
* Engineers have reduced the risk of a dam bursting and damaging the large Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear power station in Ukraine, a senior Russian official was quoted as saying by TASS news agency.
* "Because of the lack of ammunition, our losses are increasing exponentially every day," Wagner Group mercenary leader Yevgeny Prigozhin said.
* "The colors give us an easier daily routine, because when everything is grey it's much harder to deal with," Olena Yukhymchuk, 37, said in a Kyiv park where pink cherry blossom contrasts with barbed wire and anti-tank barriers.
RECENT IN-DEPTH STORIES
* ANALYSIS-Mercenary boss deepens fog of war
* INSIGHT-Ukraine's nuclear deal with Canada's Cameco carries big risks, rewards
* ANALYSIS-Kremlin incident gives Putin cover to deepen the war
* COLUMN-Global ammunition race may decide Ukraine war
Content created and supplied by: Icemoneygistlove (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More