The Barewa College is a Nigerian College in Zaria, Kaduna State. It was founded in 1921 by Hugh Clifford, a British Governor General of Nigeria. It was initially Katsina College but later renamed Kaduna College in 1938, Government College, Zaria in 1949 and finally arrived at its current name "Barewa College Zaria". The prestigious college is one of the largest boarding schools in northern Nigeria and unarguably one of the most successful institutions in the country.
Barewa College is a great citadel of learning known for graduating several prominent nothern Nigerians. It has produced a total of 5 Presidents, 20 state Governors, several Ministers, a Premier, as well as other eminent Nigerians such as top security chiefs amongst others. The following are some Nigerian dignitries produced by the great Zaria college.
1. Umar Musa Yar'adua: Executive President of Nigeria (2007 - 2010)
2. Alhaji Shehu Shagari: Executive President of Nigeria (1979 - 1983)
3. Gen. Murtala Mohammed: Military President (1975 - 1976)
4. Gen. Yakubu Gowon: Military President (1966 - 1975)
5. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa: Prime Minister of Nigeria (1960 - 1961)
6. Ahmadu Bello: Premier of northern region (1954 - 1966)
7. Justice Muhammed Bello: Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
8. Justice Idris Kutigi: Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
9. Nasir El-Rufai: Current Governor of Kaduna state and former minister of FCT
10. Orji Uzor Kalu: Former Governor of Abia state
11. Air Commodore Ibrahim Alkali: Ex-Military Governor of Kwara State
12. Alhaji Ibrahim Mahmud: Former Governor of Kaduna State
13. Professor Bolaji Akinyemi: Ex-Minister of Education
14. Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazzau: Ex-Minister of interior and former Chief of army staff
15. Alhaji Mohammed Bello: Ex-Minister of FCT
16. Abdulkadir Ahmed: Former Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
These are some eminent Nigerians whose identities can never be forgotten in the long run history of the country. It should be noted that they are not only the dignitaries produced by the aforementioned college.
Content created and supplied by: Adams_King (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More