Africa is the world's second largest and the second most populated continent. It covers 6% of the earth's total surface area and 2% of it's land area. With 1.2 billion people as of 2016, it accounts for about 16% of the world's human population.
Currently, there are over 54 countries in Africa. This includes all internationally recognized territories and states on the continent.
How well do you know Africa?
3. Egypt Boutros Boutros Ghali was the first African secretary general of the UN from 1992 - 1996.
4. Sudanese basketball, Manute Bol, at 7 feet 7 inches tall was the tallest man ever in NBA history.
5. Jimmy Carter's state visit to Nigeria in 1977 was the first state visit by an acting USA president in Africa.
6. Chief Albert John Lithuli of South Africa was the first African to be awarded a Nobel prize for peace, he won it in 1960.
7. King Sunny Ade was the first African artist to be nominated twice for a Grammy award.
8. The cocoa house in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria built by Chief Obafemi Awolowo in 1956 was Africa's first sky scrapper.
9. Dele Olojede was the first African journalist to win a Pulitzer award.
10. L M Radio of Mozambique, Africa's first commercial radio station in 1936.
11. Leopold Sedar Sengor, the first president of Senegal was an African poet.
12. 50 species of chameleons exist on the island of Madagascar.
13. There are almost one million camels in Ethiopia.
Click on the link to read more of my articles.
Content created and supplied by: ZHAYNN (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More