(2) December 26, 1978. The headline 39 years ago. Families going home for Christmas got there in tears-victims of artificial fuel scarcity. We learn from our past.
(3) Lieutenant-Colonel Francis Adekunle Fajuyi remains the only black African to have won the Military Cross. He was awarded this for his bravery in Burma during World War II in 1945.
(4) The Alake of Egbaland checking over some of his 50 crowns with his 10yr old daughter(Adebanke). He was as at then starting a museum for the crowns.
JET MAGAZINE, 19th may 1955.
(5) Yewande Savage (1906-1964). The First West African female Doctor 1929. inspired many by her example, in-spite of race and sex discrimination.
(6) Kano was the name of the Blacksmith who founded it.
(8) A traffic police on duty, Nigeria, 1940s.
(9) Story of the 1st black pilot,Ottoman Ali, born İzmirli Alioğlu Ahmed(grandma was from Bornu,Nigeria); soon to be shown in the movie,
(10) Young Queen Elizabeth II with Sultan Hassan Muaz and Emir of Gwandu, Shehu Usman in London, 1930's.
(11) Boarding the train at Kaduna, the First Battalion, Nigeria Regiment head for Douala, capital of Cameroon, during the First World War.
(12) British Ad of the Exhibition at Wembley of their then youngest colony-Nigeria in the Times of London on May 23, 1925.
(13) Shaihu Umar(1955)-a novella about slavery in Africa, written by Sir Tafawa Balewa. This was his only major literary work and a bestseller.
(15) General Murtala Muhammed being led to rest, Feb 1976.
(17) International Women's Year, 1976: Nigerian stamp in honor of the powerful Queen Amina.
(18) Prime Minister Sir Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa and princess Alexandria, during Nigeria's independence celebration. Lagos 1960.
(19)Peugeot 504 — The official car model of General Olusegun Obasanjo as Nigeria's Head-of-State in 1979. The same car was used to drive President Shehu Shagari from his inauguration on October 1, 1979 but he later discarded it for a Mercedes Benz.
Content created and supplied by: Pannan (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More