Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Politics

 

Politics

 

Nigeria politics

Today's Headlines: Buhari approves grant for Senior Citizens, Obiano presents appropriation bill

Photo Credit: Goggle

Buhari approves grant for Senior Citizens

Photo Credit: Daily Post

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved N2.5 billion as a take-off grant for the National Senior Citizens Centre (NSCC).

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Sadiya Farouq, made this known on Thursday at a one-day Southern Zone Stakeholders Consultation on the Development of NSCC Strategic Plan in Lagos, NAN reports.

Farouq, who was represented by Mr Mansur Kuliya, the ministry’s acting Director, Social Services, said that the grant was presently being processed for disbursement to the centre.

She noted the grant would be used to identify the strategic priorities, processes and approaches that would provide an impetus for the centre to achieve its mandate of integrating senior citizens.

The minister said that the centre was collaborating with relevant stakeholders to brainstorm and produce ideas for the development of a 10 years strategic plan.

Obiano presents appropriation bill

Photo Credit: Daily Post

Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano, on Thursday presented a budget estimate of N141.9 billion for 2022 fiscal year to the State House of Assembly.

The budget which is the last of his eight year’ administration was less than the N143.65billion presented for 2021 fiscal year tagged budget of “Economic Recovery and Consolidation”.

Obiano while presenting the budget estimate said the 2022 budget estimate was based on realistic projections of all sources of revenue, both external and internal, taking into consideration, the state’s revenue and expenditure trend.

Obiano said the recurrent expenditure was projected to gulp 43 per cent of the the total budget size, translating to N60.9billion . The remaining 57 per cent which translates to N81.0 billion is for capital expenditure.

Be sensitive to gender issues – NYSC DG urges Nigerians

Photo Credit: Daily Post

The Director-General, National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier-General Shuaibu Ibrahim, on Thursday urged Nigerians to be more supportive and sensitive to gender related issues in the country.

General Ibrahim made the call in Alkaleri Local Government Area of Bauchi State at the flagging off of the maiden edition of the Corps’ grassroots gender sensitisation and advocacy campaign in rural communities, declaring that no individual, man, woman, boy or girl should be denied the opportunity to realise their potential.

Represented by the Assistant Director, NYSC North-East Area Office, Bauchi, Mr Paul Amoba, Ibrahim informed that the sensitisation programme was taking place simultaneously in all the Northern states.

According to him, the well thought out programme was an initiative of the Reforms Unit of the NYSC, adding that there was the need for all to not only support and protect but also be sensitive to gender matters.

National Assembly to pass 2022 budget before Dec 16 – Omo-Agege

Photo Credit: Daily Post

The National Assembly has expressed its determination to pass the N16.3 trillion 2022 budget presented to it by President Muhammadu Buhari last Thursday before lawmakers would proceed on their Christmas break on December 16.

Deputy Senate President, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege gave the assurance on Thursday when he hosted his former classmates from the Nigerian Law School, Class of ’86 (The Centennial Class) led by ‘Class Captain’ Oladipo Okpeseyi SAN in Abuja,

According to the Deputy President of the Senate, early approval and signing of the appropriation bill into law will ensure planning, bring about enhanced productivity and efficiency in the management and application of the nation’s resources.

He explained that Nigerians are the ultimate beneficiaries of the return to the January to December budget cycle, stressing that this will guarantee full implementation of the economic, infrastructural, social investments and other developmental programmes contained in the budget.

“The budget process is ongoing. In the next 30 days, we will conclude it and pass it before we go on Christmas break, sometime on December 16,” he said.

Content created and supplied by: Bainwrites18 (via Opera News )

Daily Post Mansur Kuliya Muhammadu Buhari Obiano Southern Zone Stakeholders

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments