1 injured as Thugs disrupt LP rally in Lagos
One person has been reportedly injured after suspected thugs disrupted the campaign rally of Olumide Oworu, the Labour Party (LP) candidate for Surulere LGA 1, in the Lagos house of assembly.
In a tweet on his official Twitter handle on Thursday, Oworu said his team was attacked in the Iponri area of Surulere while campaigning.
He said the incident happened on Tuesday and was reported to the Iponri police station.
“My team and I were attacked on Tuesday as we attempted to campaign at Iponri, Surulere. A member of my team was injured, but we are thankful the incident didn’t escalate past the level it was. The case has been reported at the Iponri police station,” the tweet reads.
"I am not deterred by the incident. Instead, I am more committed to seeing this through. We will pass through the wards in constituency 1 (Akinhanmi/Cole, Adeniran/Ogunsanya, Iponri Housing Estate/Eric Moore, Igbaja/Stadium, Shitta/Ogunlana Drive, Yaba/Ojuelegba). See you outside!”
Oworu is popularly known for his role as ‘Tari’ in the Africa Magic series ‘The Johnsons”.
Photo credit || Google
He announced his interest to represent the Surulere I constituency under the LP platform on February 23.
Tension As Political Thugs Storm APC Meeting In Oyo, Kill Three People
Armed men, suspected to be political thugs on Thursday, stormed an All Progressives Congress (APC) meeting at Ile-Tuntun area in the Ibadan South East local government, Oyo State.
The hoodlums killed no fewer than three people and destroyed vehicles and other properties.
According to reports, many APC supporters were attacked.
Wariths Alawuje, the party's assembly candidate in constituency 2, was present during the attack but escaped.
Wariths confirmed the incident over the phone to Daily Trust and promised to keep everyone updated on further developments.
He said, “We were in a meeting with party executives when we heard members of (party name withheld) walking towards our office. Our people waited, for them to go. Not long after, we saw a top member of the party whispering to another and the next thing, we started hearing gunshots and before we could say jack, many of our people had been injured, cars had been damaged while nearby houses were not spared. Some persons were also killed.”
Adewale Osifeso, the Oyo Police Public Relations Officer, could not be reached for comment at the time of filing this report because he did not answer calls or respond to messages.
Rhodes-Vivour visits Oba of Lagos
Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour, governorship candidate of the Labour Party (LP), on Thursday, visited Rilwan Akiolu, the oba of Lagos.
Rhodes-Vivour announced his visit to the traditional ruler in a post on his official Twitter handle.
The LP candidate was accompanied by his father and members of the party.
“I was accompanied by my father and team to visit and pay our respects to the Oba of Lagos, we indigenous Lagosians will always respect and revere our traditional rulers, and I look forward to working with them to build a better Lagos,” he said.
Ganduje dismisses purported move to revoke Kano Golf Club property
Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje has debunked the alleged revocation of the Kano golf club insisting the purported accusation was a mere misrepresentation of facts to settle political scores.
The trustees of the only green area initially owned by British colonial masters before it was ceded to prominent individuals alleged that the government has allegedly perfected plans to lease the large ground to private developers.
Addressing journalists on the allegation, Chairman of Kano Club caretake committee Rufai Ahmad Tanko said that the vast land duly acquired in 1908 with 99 years renewable land title serve recreational and valued heritage.
He wondered why the state government decided to jettison the greener value of Kano heritage for commercial purpose despite prompt and consistent payment of its annual grant tent.
However, a statement by the state Commissioner for information Malam Muhammad Garba claimed the content of the letter sent to owners of the club, has no mention of revocation of land, saying the rumour was simply intended to smear the good image of the government.
According to Garba, the owners of the club were only informed about the expiration of the term of the title of the land in question since April 6, 2019 and the need to comply with the due process.
The Commissioner said as a statutory agency saddled with the responsibility of land management and informed by the reform in land administration in the state, the state Bureau for Land Management ensures payment of ground rent by property owners as well as renewal of land titles.
Ifagbemi Awamaridi: I still remain Lagos LP guber candidate — I didn’t withdraw
Ifagbemi Awamaridi, a chieftain of the Labour Party, says he still remains the governorship candidate of the party in Lagos state.
Speaking at a press briefing in Lagos on Thursday, Awamaridi said he did not withdraw from the governorship race contrary to claims by some leaders of the party.
He claimed that he became the authentic candidate of the party after he won the party’s governorship primary in July 2022.
“In July 2022, INEC published the name of the Labour party candidate and the name is Prof. Ifagbemi Awamaridi based on the fact that I won the primary,” he said.
“The party forwarded the name to INEC around July 5 and INEC published the name around July 25 and that name subsists.
“Later on, I discovered that the name has changed and some party leaders decided to organise a substitution primary and claimed that I have withdrawn.”
Awamaridi said he had written to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) that he had not withdrawn from the race, noting that a candidate could only withdraw on a signed letter of oath or form 11B of INEC.
He said the matter of his candidacy is before the supreme court.
Meanwhile, Dayo Ekong, chairman of the Lagos LP, said Awamaridi is being used by the opposition to disrupt the party, insisting he is not the authentic candidate of the party.
Content created and supplied by: Newslight (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More