Good morning, here are the top breaking news in Nigeria for this morning..
Intrigues, last-minute alignment as 11 aspirants contest Ondo APC governorship ticket today.
The All Progressives Congress candidate for the October 10 governorship election in Ondo State will emerge today (Monday) at a primary election that will be contested by the state Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, and 10 other aspirants.
Ahead of the election, there were intrigues on Sunday as some aspirants engaged in last-minute talks aimed at forming an alliance against Akeredolu.
Besides Akeredolu, other aspirants are Chief Olusola Oke, Dr Segun Abraham, Mr Olaide Adelami, Bukola Adetula, Mrs Jumoke Anifowose, Ambassador Sola Iji, Mr Isaac Kekemeke, Jimi Odimayo, Mr Nathaniel Adojutelegan and Mr Awodeyi Akinsehinwa.
The party had last month disclosed that it would adopt indirect primary to pick its governorship candidate, but 11 aspirants in a memo they jointly signed kicked against it.
The Chairman of the Primary Committee and Kogi State Governor, Mr Yahaya Bello, on Friday turned down the request of the aspirants, saying they could not dictate to the party.
It was gathered that there might be last-minute alliance among the aspirants as several meetings were going on among the party leaders and the aspirants to reduce the number of aspirants so that most popular aspirant would get the ticket of the party.
On Sunday, it was learnt that many of the aspirants, who were active at the initial stage of the preparation for the primary, were said to have lost confidence in getting the desired victory at the primary following the alleged imposition of the indirect primary.
An aide to one of the aspirants, on condition of anonymity, informed one of our correspondents that his boss knew he had lost the primary already, alleging that the national secretariat of the party had concluded plans to give Akeredolu the ticket of the party.
Ogun replaces striking isolation centre doctors with volunteers.
The Ogun State Government has replaced the striking resident doctors working at the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital Isolation Centre, Sagamu, with volunteer doctors.
The Association of Resident Doctors had last week asked their colleagues who were working at the centre to join them in their ongoing strike which commenced on July 1, 2020 over alleged failure of the government to meet their welfare demands.
The Commissioner for Health, Dr Tomi Coker, said the striking doctors at the isolation centre had been replaced.
She said, “Only two doctors at the isolation are ARD members. They have been replaced by other doctors who are happy to serve the people of Ogun State by volunteering at the isolation centre.”
The Secretary, ARD,OOUTH, Dr Tope Osundara, confirmed the replacement, adding that the doctors were hopeful that the government would call for a meeting this week.
You’ve made Nigeria proud, Tinubu tells Olorunyomi.
The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has congratulated the Publisher of Premium Times, Mr Dapo Olorunyomi, on his emergence as one of the three winners of the 2020 edition of the International Press Freedom award.
The award is organised by the Committee for the Protection of Journalists to honour journalists around the world, “who show courage in defending press freedom despite facing attacks, threat or imprisonment.”
In a congratulatory statement on Sunday by his media aide, Tunde Rahman, Tinubu described Olorunyomi’s winning as deserving, thanking him for “making Nigeria proud again.”
Tinubu said Olorunyomi must see the award as “a challenge to strive harder in his patriotic endeavour to bring power to the people.”
Arotile: Police to take over case, may charge suspects with manslaughter.
The Nigerian Air Force has said it will hand over the driver and two other occupants of the Kia Sorento SUV which killed Nigeria’s first female combat pilot, Flying Officer Tolulope Arotile, to the police for investigation and prosecution.
The NAF disclosed that the suspects – Mr Nehemiah Adejoh, Mr Igbekele Folorunsho and Mr Festus Gbayegun – all former schoolmates of the deceased at the Air Force Secondary School (now Air Force Comprehensive School) Kaduna, were still in custody.
The PUNCH learnt that the after investigations, the culpable person among the suspects would face manslaughter charges.
Disclosing the details of the preliminary investigation to journalists at the NAF Headquarters in Abuja on Sunday, the Director of Public Relations and Information, Nigerian Air Force, Air Comm. Ibikunle Daramola, said the service would work with the police to prefer appropriate charges against the culpable persons among the vehicle occupants.
Kano flood destroys two bridges, cuts off communities.
Flood has washed away two bridges in the Rimingado and Tofa local government areas of Kano State.
The Executive Secretary of the State Emergency Management Agency, Dr Sale Jili, said in Kano on Sunday that the incident which happened on Wednesday, had cut off many towns and villages from the headquarters of the two local government areas.
He said the flood which was caused by torrential rain, had also cut off the two local government areas from the state capital.
“One of the affected bridges is in Watari village which links Ungoggo LGA to Tofa LGA, while the second bridge is between Tamawa village and Karofin Yashi village in the Rimingado LGA.
“So many villages have been cut off from the headquarters of the two local government areas while the two areas have also been cut off from the state capital,” Jili said.
He said the flood which affected seven local government areas, had affected no fewer than 3,954 people.
“The Nigerian Meteorological Agency had predicted flood in some local government areas in some states, including Kano,” he said.
He said SEMA had since forwarded its comprehensive report to the state government for immediate assistance to the victims of the disaster.
He called on Governor Abdullahi Ganduje to release funds to enable the agency to provide interim support to the victims to alleviate their sufferings.
Content created and supplied by: Synced (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More